A/c parts, manifold seals.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
My new AC delco R4 compressor uses these sealing rings. The green one and the large gold colored one. What are the spacers for, possibly another model? I have a leak and it's become a nusance!

Attachments

• manifold sealing rings 1.JPG
    manifold sealing rings 1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 4

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new AC delco R4 compressor uses these sealing rings. The green one and the large gold colored one. What are the spacers for, possibly another model? I have a leak and it's become a nusance!

Well, I found *this* which tells part of the tale...

You must be registered for see images attach

I think those aluminum "adapters" you've shown are to be used with the AC Delco R4 replacement compressor that's designed to be usable on either R12 or R134a systems. It so happens, or should I say "I have seen" that the R12 systems had different pipe sizes than the R134a systems. I can imagine those adapters (shims) would be used on whichever system had smaller pipes (I think it was R12) to fit them properly in the fittings on the replacement R4 compressor.

(edit) I found in my notes that some R12 systems had 5/8” pilots on both lines, whereas some R134a systems had 3/4" pilots.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Thanks, I don't like this design as the manifold doesn't fit into the openings like the old one did and it moves around until you tighten down on it.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I think i found the problem. I had a set of used gauges that I didnt like the look of so I went to HF an bought a new set. After replacing all the seals again I got suspicious of the HF gauges. Got the used ones out and cleaned all the fittings and now have vacuum holding. Pretty much used up the Labor day weekend but if I have A/C it will be worth it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think i found the problem. I had a set of used gauges that I didnt like the look of so I went to HF an bought a new set. After replacing all the seals again I got suspicious of the HF gauges. Got the used ones out and cleaned all the fittings and now have vacuum holding. Pretty much used up the Labor day weekend but if I have A/C it will be worth it.

That’s why one should always hook the gauges to the vacuum pump first, alone, and check that they and the pump will achieve and hold 30” vacuum (or max vac at your elevation) :)

Didja do dat??? :popcorn:

Last edited:

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
No I didnt, but forewarned..... I think it was the quick couplers as the orngs in them were't as thick as the older set. Thanks for your input!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I didnt, but forewarned..... I think it was the quick couplers as the O-rings in them weren't as thick as the older set. Thanks for your input!

Ah... you're saying (I think) the O-ring, in the coupler, that seals to the service fitting wasn't sufficient. Is that right? The leak was there?

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
That's what I think, so I took them back for a refund. If I ever need to do it again I'll just rent them. I'm at the age that more tools aren't needed.;)