a/c help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Found the defrost door lol. Everything else is working even the front door now so air will adjust between all vents but the defrost vent is wide open.

Tonight when I make it home I'm gonna throw a can of freon in it to see what happens. The compressor is not locked up hoping it will kick on.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I wanted to add that I added 1 can or part of one can to the system. The compressor would kick on...then kick right back off.

The gauge would read filled while the compressor was on...when off it read overcharged. It would kick on...run for about 2 seconds stop....10 to 15 seconds later kick on...kick off

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to add that I added 1 can or part of one can to the system. The compressor would kick on...then kick right back off.

The gauge would read filled while the compressor was on...when off it read overcharged. It would kick on...run for about 2 seconds stop....10 to 15 seconds later kick on...kick off
Sounds like an undercharged system analyzed by a crappy "gauge".

Connect a real manifold gauge set, see what happens. Let us know about the high- and low-side pressures, and how they change when the compressor runs/shuts off. Manifold gauges can be obtained through many parts-store "loaner tool" programs.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like an undercharged system analyzed by a crappy "gauge".

Connect a real manifold gauge set, see what happens. Let us know about the high- and low-side pressures, and how they change when the compressor runs/shuts off. Manifold gauges can be obtained through many parts-store "loaner tool" programs.

I will do this hopefully this weekend. I have never in my life messed with ac systems other than blend doors and simple things.

Gonna try to do as much as I can myself.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never in my life messed with ac systems other than blend doors and simple things.
When you connect the manifold gauge set, keep in mind that the hoses may be full of "air" instead of "refrigerant". You do not want that air in the A/C system.

Connect the hoses to the Schrader valves with the engine OFF. You should see pressure on the two gauges. Often, the hoses themselves (Blue low-side, Red high-side) have a valve in them; those hose-valves have to be open. With the middle (generally yellow) hose open on it's far end, open the valves on the manifold set briefly. Pssssst! from the low-side valve, and then close that valve. Pssssst! from the high-side valve, and then close that valve. Now the manifold gauge set hoses have been purged of air, they're filled with refrigerant. Close the valve in the yellow hose (if equipped) to seal the refrigerant in the hoses.

NOW you can take your pressure readings with the engine running and compressor pumping, or add refrigerant without fear of air contaminating the system.

The A/C refrigerant system is relatively simple. Most of the complexity is involved in controlling the compressor, and controlling the air-doors. But don't forget that you'll make Greta cry (and maybe even show up at your home along with the entourage of Lamestream Media, Hollywood Hotshots, a whack-job black-and-white photographer, etc.) if you vent excess refrigerant, and refrigerant boils at something like -40 degrees, which can be really painful if you're in the way of it. The system also operates under considerable pressure, so don't EVER open the high-side manifold valve with the compressor running. In fact, unless you intend to add refrigerant TO the system, or remove refrigerant FROM the system, don't open the high- or the low-side manifold valves at all except to purge the hoses.

Probably want to watch (multiple) Youtube videos; and/or read up on the A/C service procedures in the Service Manual.

BE CAREFUL. A/C work "can" be dangerous. You don't want this showing up at your door.
You must be registered for see images attach

A gen-you-wine Scandahoovian Native American.

Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update.

Gonna just get a kit, new compressor, driers, all that. Put it all on and our truck shop is gonna recharge it for me.

Last edited:

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have photos of a coworkers hand after he blasted himself with high side pressure on a chiller, but it might be too yucky to post. I agree with everything Schurkey says!

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have photos of a coworkers hand after he blasted himself with high side pressure on a chiller, but it might be too yucky to post. I agree with everything Schurkey says!

Lucky for me my system is completly empty lol

Still will wear safety glasses and gloves and long sleeves. Too many years of working under OSHA and MSHA.

I where safety glasses just about for everything working on a vehicle or lawnmower. I've had trash in my eye before...never again.