99 vortec to tbi swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NicoF

Reaction score
So I have a 99 c2500 with a blown 5.7 vortec I have a parts truck (not sure the year) but it has a 5.7 tbi I was wondering what I can do to swap the tbi in or swap the tbi to vortec

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the vortec heads are good, I figure you could probably do a shortblock swap but the cam will be wrong so it'll need a tune. I wonder if you can roller retrofit a stock vortec cam in a flat tappet block? I would think yes.

NicoF

Reaction score
If the vortec heads are good, I figure you could probably do a shortblock swap but the cam will be wrong so it'll need a tune. I wonder if you can roller retrofit a stock vortec cam in a flat tappet block? I would think yes.
can you dumb that down a little for me?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Will run just fine on a TBI cam. I swapped a Vortec top-end on an older 350 with a 204/214 RV cam years ago as well and the PCM cared less.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you dumb that down a little for me?
Put Vortec cylinder heads onto TBI short-block. Use Vortec intake manifold, Vortec injection, Vortec computer and wire harness, Vortec water pump and accessory drive.

MAYBE swap the Vortec cam, lifters, pushrods into the TBI short-block, but only if the TBI block can accept the Vortec roller lifters.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put Vortec cylinder heads onto TBI short-block. Use Vortec intake manifold, Vortec injection, Vortec computer and wire harness, Vortec water pump and accessory drive.

MAYBE swap the Vortec cam, lifters, pushrods into the TBI short-block, but only if the TBI block can accept the Vortec roller lifters.

He will need the Holley Aluminum L31 timing cover with the crank position sensor hole as well. The Holley cover is made thicker/wider to seal to both the newer and older blocks with a normal old SBC fiber paper gasket where the plastic cover with the thin rubber gasket is not. The stock covers are not re-useable anyway and the Holley cover is only a little more $ but saves loads of frustration by not leaking oil. Install the crank reluctor off the L31 and use the L31 harmonic balancer as well.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This probably ran pretty good.
Ran extremely well. I also did the same using a 400 short block once as well. I eventually did a little tuning on the 400 but it was minimal. Biggest change on the 400 was merely changing the cylinder displacement value. I also upped the timing a bit and increased the maximum torque value to allow the 400 to make its full torque output.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The " dumb it down part " , sounds beyond skills and ability.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use the L31 harmonic balancer as well.
Don't forget the disc behind the balancer. You will need that as well. The L31 balancer has a shorter snout than the TBI, and you won't be able to use the TBI balancer if you use the Vortec injection.

The " dumb it down part " , sounds beyond skills and ability.
I knew zero about this before I did my Vortec/TBI engine build. There is a learning curve, and if you come from a non-GM background you need it dumbed down. Here's a thread on what I learned:

Also keep in mind that the cam on a Vortec has a smaller bolt circle than a TBI cam, and uses a different timing set.

I would keep the TBI bottom end and swap the Vortec heads and intake onto it. Plug the water pump bypass hole on the block and run the Vortec water pump.