99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see WOT, ~3100 RPM, and only 22 degrees of advance. I also see you're commanding 12:1 AFR and you have no knock activity. I'd be adding in some more timing myself, start to creep up on trace knock.

I also see a mere 89kpa at WOT. What elevation are you at?

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Super! I have been sure the timing was low. It's costing gas milage, but also putting a lot more heat into the exhaust system than it should be.

That was about 2,000 feet elev. Perhaps the engine wants more airflow than the tb and maf can supply.

I sent it back to BB and asked for more timing at cruise, but clearly it needs more wot timing too. It should be 34 deg by 3,000. Is that easy to play with in HP tuners? I need to just buy it.

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's confirmed, I am a moron. I just realized I can open the data log on the efi live scan tool app and see the numbers myself. That same run has a peak airflow of 25 lb/minute. At 12:1 afr, thats about 2 pounds of fuel per minute, so a gallon would last a little over 3 minutes. At 60 mph it would go 3 miles in 3 minutes for 3 miles per gallon! Another way to look at it is 2 pounds per minute is 120 lb/hr. Divide that by 8 gives 15 lb/hr per injector, which confirms the 36 lb/hr injectors were running at 40% duty cycle. This is fun!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Super! I have been sure the timing was low. It's costing gas milage, but also putting a lot more heat into the exhaust system than it should be.

That was about 2,000 feet elev. Perhaps the engine wants more airflow than the tb and maf can supply.

I sent it back to BB and asked for more timing at cruise, but clearly it needs more wot timing too. It should be 34 deg by 3,000. Is that easy to play with in HP tuners? I need to just buy it.

I'll better be able to see what a 454 wants when I tune the plow truck. The dually doesn't want much timing with the boost and IATs it sees and I don't recall off hand how much timing the dually wanted NA. What fuel are you running?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's confirmed, I am a moron. I just realized I can open the data log on the efi live scan tool app and see the numbers myself. That same run has a peak airflow of 25 lb/minute. At 12:1 afr, thats about 2 pounds of fuel per minute, so a gallon would last a little over 3 minutes. At 60 mph it would go 3 miles in 3 minutes for 3 miles per gallon! Another way to look at it is 2 pounds per minute is 120 lb/hr. Divide that by 8 gives 15 lb/hr per injector, which confirms the 36 lb/hr injectors were running at 40% duty cycle. This is fun!

Check and see what your duty cycle does up around 5000.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a parameter of rw hp. How does it figure 626 rwhp at 3,200? That would take probably 20 lb of boost.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is a parameter of rw hp. How does it figure 626 rwhp at 3,200? That would take probably 20 lb of boost.

Right click it, it's rate of change of speed over time. Super dumb. I made a PID in V8 that does calculated HP based on RPM, calculated torque, and

You must be registered for see images attach

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will have to send the data cable back to BB. I have already downloaded the EFI live scan app and tuning app. What do I need to buy to be able to tune with efi live?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Flashscan V3 and GM tuning option.

They've changed a little since I got my V2 eons ago, but the cost isn't that much more. I got mine on a group buy. If I had a V3 I could add Cummins tuning for $450 instead of having to buy a new piece of hardware. I like that. My V2 predates them screwing with Cummins.