99 burb Vortec No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel_Mc

Reaction score
Ok guys I have searched for a thread on my specific issue however I'm not seeing it. If I've missed the thread for this please point me to it.

I have a 1999 1500 series 4x4 burb that will not crank over. The issue is sometimes it will and it starts right up. Fuel pressure is good with no codes being thrown. When you turn the key you get nothing. So far I've replaced:

-Iginition Switch
-Keylock cylinder
-Reprogramed the ECM to remove anti theft
-Replaced the fuel pump
-Replaced the starter

Also
-Checked all wiring and grounds that I could find
-Changed the battery (long shot but tried it).

The truck is my DD and I'm tired of being left stranded. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Daniel

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would have said the Passlock, but if removed in the PCM, you should be fine there.

Does it not crank at all when it acts up, or crank but not start? Do you have 12vdc on the yellow wire going down the column from the ign switch? The bulkhead connector can get corroded and cause intermittent connection issues, but I rarely see that in these trucks. Used to see it in the S10s all the time. I would take the connector apart and check to make sure all is clean. Spray some contact cleaner in there then add some dialectric grease and reassemble.

What kind of condition are the battery cables? My 1990 454SS had one of the ends not tightening into the battery. It would 'disconnect' during cranking. If you wiggled it, it would allow it to start.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pull this relay, check for corrosion on the terminals on the relay and in the socket. If you find none, verify ground, constant power, and switched power with a multimeter or, lacking that, a test light. If all looks good, replace the relay. If not, fix the problem and see what happens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Daniel_Mc

Reaction score
I'm heading today with a buddy to tow it home (again).

SixSpeedSS,
I have not verified that on the yellow wire and have not checked where you are talking about on the bulkhead connector. However I will check these, the battery cables are in good shape with no corrosion. The truck was in TX its entire life until I purchased it a few years ago. No real corrosion issues. When I started will not crank I was meaning the truck will not crank over at all. No click, no anything.

SAATR,
This is the exact relay that popped the first time all of this started almost a year and a half ago. I was pulling a car back from Crusing the Coast and the security light flashed and the truck died. It would crank after a reset of the security system but die after about 30 seconds. I've changed all of those relays and never gave them another thought. I'll pull all of that verify and clean. One thing that I completely forgot to mention was that sometime when the truck will not crank I can take my hand and hit just above the key lock cylinder on the column at the same time I'm turning the key and the truck will crank. This is what lead me to think it was the ignition switch or cylinder so I replaced both.

Thanks for the suggestions so for I'll be giving them a shot when I get it home today.

Daniel

Daniel_Mc

Reaction score
SAATR,

After getting the truck home I started with the fuse block and it did not show corrosion. After tracing wires and trying a few things we realized that moving the relay in the pins caused the no crank situation. After taking the block apart some we used a nail to re-bend the pins followed by some cleaner for good measure and a tad of dielectric grease. So far the no crank issue is resolved. We tested by attempting to crank as we moved the relay. This seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you for pointing me to the fix, the no crank had become very frustrating to say the least.

-Daniel

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to have been part of the solution! I don't know why I didn't even think of loose terminals. Had a co-worker chase an intermittent problem in a relay controlled circuit. He had some test relays with a manual switch installed and could not reproduce the problem while using them. Turned out that the pins on the test unit was just a smidge longer than the pins on the relay and would make contact where the actual relay would not. He wasn't very happy when he figured it out, but did fix the problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm heading today with a buddy to tow it home (again).

SixSpeedSS,
I have not verified that on the yellow wire and have not checked where you are talking about on the bulkhead connector. However I will check these, the battery cables are in good shape with no corrosion. The truck was in TX its entire life until I purchased it a few years ago. No real corrosion issues. When I started will not crank I was meaning the truck will not crank over at all. No click, no anything.

The only reason I suggested the bulkhead is I have seen it on S-10s many times. I haven't really seen it on many GMT400s. Once I saw SAATR's post I was pretty certain that would be your issue. I forgot about that relay in the Dist center. I have fixed a few Jeeps with a similar issue.

Glad to hear all is well.

cmcolfax

Reaction score
Having similar no crank no start no click issue with my Burb intermittently as well.

Battery good. Pulled and put on tester... shows 14+ static and 11+ under test load.

Alternator tests good as well.

Has eaten several starters in the past 10k miles.

Gonna mess with relays this afternoon.