98 Z71 with 243 everything quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
Are those wires unplugged at both ends?
Yes, the TCCM is unplugged and the push button switch is unplugged. That’s where im checking each end at, I even unplugged the plug by the brake booster going to the harness under the truck to eliminate any of that incase it was running to it also

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
Are those wires unplugged at both ends?
I also unplugged both plugs on the park/neutral switch to eliminate it also incase any circuits went to it as well. I can’t wrap my head around how I can be on a ground on one end of the rest and a positive on the other end and there’s continuity between the two. It doesn’t make sense.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but may be related:

Is the ground strap between the engine, frame and body in good condition?

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
This may sound silly, but may be related:

Is the ground strap between the engine, frame and body in good condition?
Yes all ground straps are intact and good condition. I’m going to take them off and wire brush the contact places on them and see if it helps.

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
What’s odd is with the key off the ground pins and battery + pins have continuity between them, but with the key on they don’t. And all is normal as it should with battery + wires being hot and the grounds are negative. Soon as I turn the key off all of them share continuity. All wiring harnesses and plugs check out, all switches and sensors, modules, actuators etc are brand new. All plugs have turned correct voltage going to and from them yet I have no indicators on the 4x4 push button switch on the dash and nothing works at all when you push them. I took the 3 bolts out of the encoder motor and left it on the case and just turned it a little to see if the light would come on the switch on the dash. It didht but when I turned the key on I could hear the front diff actuator engage.

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
Time to find a wiring diagram, so you can discover where those wires join.
Would you happen to know where in the service manuals I can find the wiring diagrams at? There’s so much to search thru and I’m having a hard time finding exactly where to look.