98 Z71 with 243 everything quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
I haven't looked at a '98 manual, but in the '97, they're mainly in the back, set up according to what system is being powered.
Seeing how 97 & 98 are the same truck with the exception of pass lock would you mind to let me know where in your manual I can find the diagram for the 4x4 wiring and dash wiring if you get the free time please. I’m still learning to navigate thru the online manuals on here but they’re not in order so it’s tricky to just jump to a certain part I’m looking for. I’m pretty sure it’s section 8 which should be the back but in the manuals on here it’s the first volume instead of the last. But I was hoping you might be able to narrow it down to where at in section 8 I can find if if possible
Please and thanks in advance

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 service manual:
Section 8A, Electrical Diagnosis is in Book 2.

Sections 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E1, and 8E2 are in Book 1.

8C is "Instrument Panel and Gages"; 8D is "Chassis Electrical". Gives harness routing and general info, but no schematics. The schematics are in 8A, Book 2. And you'll need to use the index page at 8A, because it's not broken down by "Dash Wiring" and "4X4 wiring".

No promises that the '98 manual is the same. The '97 manual was a transitional layout, mainly done in what GM hoped would be a "new style".

Last edited:

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
I haven't looked at a '98 manual, but in the '97, they're mainly in the back, set up according to what system is being powered.
1997 service manual:
Section 8A, Electrical Diagnosis is in Book 2.

Sections 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E1, and 8E2 are in Book 1.

8C is "Instrument Panel and Gages"; 8D is "Chassis Electrical". Gives harness routing and general info, but no schematics. The schematics are in 8A, Book 2. And you'll need to use the index page at 8A, because it's not broken down by "Dash Wiring" and "4X4 wiring".

No promises that the '98 manual is the same. The '97 manual was a transitional layout, mainly done in what GM hoped would be a "new style".
That’s a huge help, thank you!

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
I finally figured out what was wrong with my truck. After lots of trouble shooting and inspecting wiring harnesses, plugs etc. I acquired the use of a spare truck that I knew the 4x4 worked correctly and took off the encoder motor, TCCM, and front diff actuator to swap out on my truck one by one just to see if I had received a bad part from Orielly. And when I changed out the encoder motor everything started working correctly. It fixed it. The encoder motor was warranty out 2 different times just to make sure it was new and not the cause of the problem. They must have got a bad batch of them tho cause brand new out of the box it was no good. Anyhow just wanted ti say thanks to everyone who helped me on here and leave what ended up fixing my problem cause I know most people don’t come back on here and write down what fixed the issue they were having.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally figured out what was wrong with my truck. After lots of trouble shooting and inspecting wiring harnesses, plugs etc. I acquired the use of a spare truck that I knew the 4x4 worked correctly and took off the encoder motor, TCCM, and front diff actuator to swap out on my truck one by one just to see if I had received a bad part from Orielly. And when I changed out the encoder motor everything started working correctly. It fixed it. The encoder motor was warranty out 2 different times just to make sure it was new and not the cause of the problem. They must have got a bad batch of them tho cause brand new out of the box it was no good. Anyhow just wanted ti say thanks to everyone who helped me on here and leave what ended up fixing my problem cause I know most people don’t come back on here and write down what fixed the issue they were having.
Usually folks do say what went wrong,but I agree,that "what fixed it"in the end is a huge help. Glad yours work. My in cab switch does lose all the lights occasionaly but everything works-gotta press it top left corner hard,then they stay on.