98 Z71 with 243 everything quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
I’ve searched thru the forum and found posts that sort of have the same issue as in having but not really, and most of those posts didn’t have any answers or follow up on what the OP did to fix the prob. Here’s what I have going on.

I have a 98 ex cab Z71 5.7 with auto trans and NP1 - 243 transfer case. 4x4 has worked great for years and one day I went to lock it in and the TCCM under the dash started clicking rapidly and wouldn’t stop until I unhooked the battery. And after that it hasn’t worked at all since. I’ve changed every part there is to change. Front diff actuator, encoder motor, 4x4 switch on top of the T case, speed sensor, 4x4 push button switch on the dash, TCCM and neutral safety-range selector switch on side of trans. I’ve checked all of the fuses and wiring under the truck and under the hood and it’s all good. No bare places, no visibly messed up plugs, it’s all good. When I turn on the key the buttons on the dash light up and go back off and then nothing is lit up, nothing happens when I push the buttons. I’ve done the flash codes to check them and it has no flash codes. Has anyone had this problem before or anyone have an idea what to do to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated, i can’t seem to find anyone else on here that’s had this same problem. Also I’ve checked power and grounds on the TCCM plug with pin outs I found online and all of them check out ok. Nothing stands out at all to show why it wouldn’t work. There’s power at the switch in the dash, the back lights come on and light up but no orange lights on selector part to show it’s in 2 hi or 4 hi or anything.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You really just started changing parts, just guessing no diagnostics, no troubleshooting. Do you have the free service manuals available here? You might start there first. It may explain have the condition your experienceing.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
In book 2 of 4, it seems like 4-182 is the beginning of transfer case section, in my browser it is page #477.

Lots of diagrams, component locations and troubleshooting procedures there.

One of the more interesting steps in troubleshooting section that caught my attention was this.

1. Position the ignition switch to RUN.
2. Position the transmission to neutral.
3. Push the vehicle forward about five feet.
Does the transfer case mode shift between 4HI and 2HI?

Not saying that is something you need to do, just that the book seem pretty thorough. ;)

Hopefully you get things sorted out.

The rest of the manuals can be found here.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
You really just started changing parts, just guessing no diagnostics, no troubleshooting. Do you have the free service manuals available here? You might start there first. It may explain have the condition your experienceing.
I checked all the wiring first to see if it was damaged anywhere. I also did some trouble shooting by checking to make sure I have power and ground in all of the places it needs to be on the pin outs. Everything checked out on that so I started to change parts one at a time. All of the parts have lifetime warranty from being replaced in the past so I just swapped them out one at a time to eliminate it being a bad part. It didn't cost me anything with that exception of the TCCM. I’ve never had one give me such a hard time as this one.

Last edited:

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
In book 2 of 4, it seems like 4-182 is the beginning of transfer case section, in my browser it is page #477.

Lots of diagrams, component locations and troubleshooting procedures there.

One of the more interesting steps in troubleshooting section that caught my attention was this.

1. Position the ignition switch to RUN.
2. Position the transmission to neutral.
3. Push the vehicle forward about five feet.
Does the transfer case mode shift between 4HI and 2HI?

Not saying that is something you need to do, just that the book seem pretty thorough. ;)

Hopefully you get things sorted out.

The rest of the manuals can be found here.

Best of luck.
Thank you! I’m new to posting and using the forum so I’m trying to figure out how to navigate thru it to find all the diagrams, info and everything else. I’m going to start reading everything I can. Thanks again for the help!

caseyjones_81

Reaction score
Sorry for the rookie question but can you tell me how to get to the free service manuals that are on here so I can download them?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
its located in the engine performance and maintenance section.

or right here...

caseyjones_81

Reaction score

or right here...

Ok thank you, all I could find was 88-95 service manuals that someone put together and shared on here but mine is a 98. I’ll go check out what you just shared. Thanks again I appreciate the help

caseyjones_81

Reaction score

or right here...

or right here...

I found it, guess I didn’t scroll down far enough to see that theres more than 88-95 on there. Now time to start reading.