98 LS1 SWAP NEED INFO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado98

slab holiday
Reaction score
WELLS GUYS I THINK IM GOING TO DO A LS SWAP IN MY 98 OBS EXT. I JUST NEEDED SOME INFO ON WHAT I NEED BESIDES THE MOTOR ITSELF WHEN DOING THIS SWAP AND IS IT GOING HARDER THEN IT REALLY IS. ALSO WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW I STILL WANT TO USE MY 4L60E STILL CAUSE I HAD REBUILT AND ADDED SOME MODS TO IT LIKE C5 SHIFT KIT AND 2200 STALL AS WELL. I JUST WANT TO KNOW THE MAIN THINGS I NEED IN LIKE A LIST FOR THIS SWAP AND SO I DONT MISS ANYTHING AT ALL. SO HELP FROM EVERYONE THAT HAS DONE THIS SWAP WOULD BE GREAT AND THANKFUL.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Look at the sub-sections at the top of this section. There's multiple threads in there, with more info than most know what to do with, myself included. There's several ways to do the swap, just depends on how much you want to spend, and/or labor to put in.

I'm still gathering parts to do my swap, so haven't gotten much further than the research.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, no problem bolting and keeping your 4L60e, with a slight difference in bellhousing bolt pattern, but it will work. Get yourself the most complete LS engine you can find with accessories, wiring harness, air filter box, ECU, etc. Watch out for the DBW vs DBC. If you can buy the donor vehicle, even better.

You'll need some engine mount adapters (Dirty Dingo and a lot of other companies make them now) to relocate the LS slightly, as the crank is a bit shorter than the SBC.

There are a few accessories to swap: PS pump, alternator, fan clutch. Water pump, starter, AC compressor do not.