98 K2500 Burb with 454 Smog Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogprince

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been researching this for awhile and all the information I find doesn't list a year, or is an older year, or different engine.

My 454 has a few issues and one is the smog pump. It growls when it is engaged so I know it is on its way out to pasture. Thru research they do not make a replacement anymore and since I don't have to have a Smog Check, removal is the best course of action.

Issue is. I can't find a straight answer on a later year what is required.

1) New Belt?
2) Re-route existing belt?
3) Smog delete Pully Part Number?

On the last I have found the part at Jegs PN 10129569. It says the following "1992-93 Chevy/GMC 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. May require a different length belt when used to eliminate some smog (A.I.R.) pumps, belt length will need to be determined by measurement."

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get the bus ready for hunting and camping this summer.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MY '99 454 doesn't have and never has had a smog pump. I'm guessing yours is a California emissions engine. I would think you can remove the pump and get the belt for the non smog engine and be fine. Google belt routing for the two different engines and that should tell you if it'll work.

Frogprince

Reaction score
If that is all is needed then this is easier than I thought.

EDIT: This isn't as simple. It can be done but will need some more insight. Looking at the attached diagram of belt routing, the Tensioner pulley is different. On mine with the AIR (smog) pump it is a smooth pulley running on the outside of the belt. While on a non smog it is located in place where the Smog is and is a grooved pulley.

So it looks like there is bracket and a pulley that will be needed, and removing of the smog pump to be able to change the belt over.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Frogprince

Reaction score
Walk into the nearest Treasure Yard, walk out with a used-but-usable AIR pump.

Problem solved.

True, finding one for the 454 is little harder. Plus how long will a used pump last before I am once again trying to dig up another. I might just pull the electrical connection to it and leave it be. It only makes noise when the clutch is engaged.

I know the pic n pull has a 454 truck (only one) near me. I can buy a refurb pump for 300ish on Ebay.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might just pull the electrical connection to it and leave it be. It only makes noise when the clutch is engaged.
You have an electric clutch on an AIR pump?

I've never seen that before.

I have a plain ol' ordinary AIR pump that came with the 5.7L TBI pickup I bought twenty years ago. The truck sat for a few months. When I was getting it running again, I found that the AIR pump was seized.

I pulled it apart, lubed the internals, and it turns. It may still need bearings or something because it doesn't turn freely, but it's better than it was. It got set-aside as I had a replacement from another, similar engine.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks to me like all you will need is the complete tensioner for the non air pump and the belt for the same. That will push the other way on the grooved side of the belt. I would not be at all surprised if it mounts right in place of the other tensioner. Simple and cheap without ever having to mess with that stupid air pump crap again.

Edit: Ok, I was wrong. Comparing the two tensioners as new parts, one mounts with one long bolt, the other mounts with two shorter bolts. Looks like it's time to start fabricating brackets. Still way cheaper in the long run!

Frogprince

Reaction score
Looks to me like all you will need is the complete tensioner for the non air pump and the belt for the same. That will push the other way on the grooved side of the belt. I would not be at all surprised if it mounts right in place of the other tensioner. Simple and cheap without ever having to mess with that stupid air pump crap again.

Edit: Ok, I was wrong. Comparing the two tensioners as new parts, one mounts with one long bolt, the other mounts with two shorter bolts. Looks like it's time to start fabricating brackets. Still way cheaper in the long run!

That was what I was seeing, the issue is I have no idea what that area on a non smog truck looks like.

It is possible they have the correct bolt, and mount there or it was a different alternator bracket. I need to pull my truck in and see what is all around that tensioner.

Would be great if all I had to do was buy the tensioner, new belt and just swap out.

Frogprince

Reaction score
I think I have figured this out.

I will need to source an Alternator Bracket from a 1996+ GMC/Chevy 454. I found one in the local yard now just about getting it pulled.

I noted that they did two bolts and one threaded on stud...why couldn't it just be another bolt.