98 4x4 leaking oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I have a ecsb 98 K1500. It has the 5.7 in it and recently it has started leaking oil bad in between my oil pan and transmission. My question is if there is a sort of band-aid type fix i can do to fix this. I am currently unemployed and do not have the funds to rebuild my motor and everything which is what i am saving up to do next. I would not be running with this fix for very long maybe 2000 miles if that I am just tired of worrying about my oil everytime i get in my truck.

iamkeniff

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well...it's the rear seal.
easy fix is replace it yourself.
unbolt the tranny, pull the flywheel, change rear seal. it's like a 400.00 job (if someone else does it) if not more now...who knows.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup rear main seal, band aid fix is to keep adding oil. You might be super lucky and its just the oil pan gasket but unlikely.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not sure of the bears rear main seal repair works but its worth a try,Me and my buddy had the same problem with his he put roltila motor oil in it and it helped alittle.Another thing is use strait 40w that helps alittle too,but its the rear main seal that has gone out not to had to fix .I think you got the 2 piece not sure but it should be a quick fix and if you what do the trans flush and check you oil pump and screen since you are already done there any way all this is very easy to fix man best of luck

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna try and get under there maybe next weekend after my finals are done.