97 Sierra headlight problems- HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reedytlr

Reaction score
I'm working on a 97 Sierra right now. When I got it, the engine was out and the core support and everything in between. I've put it all back together now, and the headlights were working fine. (I still haven't drove the truck, just moved it around and stuff) I ordered new headlight assemblies for it and HID's for the low beams. This evening I had all the headlights off and unplugged and I plugged in one HID to make sure it would work and it wouldn't. So I stuck the stock drivers hi and low beam both back on to check and they were dim, but they worked. But the left turn signal indicator was illuminated and when I would turn the key on, the wipers would come on. I plugged in the stock passenger lights after that (thinking it was just a power issue) and the issue with the wipers and turn signal went away. But then both low beams were on dim, and one high beam was dim, the other was fine (the switch was in the low beam position) after that I said heck with it and stuck both new housings on and the HID's to see what would happen. No I have no low beams, and one high beam. I'm lost on this one, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1995z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked all your grounds? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a loose ground wire

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on the grounds. My 4-low had a bad ground just a few weeks ago and it had the transmission screwed up. Truck would jump to fourth gear @ 15mph or take 3/4 throttle to get up to 2000rpms. 2 unnecessary ECMs and hours of labor in searching finally found it and fixed it in 30 seconds.

Reedytlr

Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys, I'll check all the grounds this evening after work and let you know if it turns out to be one of them. I didn't know if these trucks had a headlight control module of some sort that I may of screwed up by plugging in one HID. But thanks for the help!

Reedytlr

Reaction score
I ran home on my lunch break and looked, I found one loose ground on the core support. I tightened it up and now I have both high beams, but still no low beams. Kinda wondering if the loose ground screwed up the HIDs, but I'm not sure