97 Sierra engine miss while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
So a few days ago I got my first American truck, a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. Now I have my first problem. Disclaimer, I'm not with the vehicle at the moment, my dad has it and is playing with it, he is good with pre EFI stuff but today was the first time he had heard the term OBDii.... so no codes yet. Engine had no issues yesterday, Bout 115000 miles on the clock

Truck starts fine, idles fine and can be revved fine in park/neutral. Put it into Drive, still idles fine but when driven you get an even regular misfire, CEL comes on solid, then flashes, and solid again. The engine isn't running rough exactly, just a regular miss, with a slight loss in power. Vehical can still be driven, no hesitation on throttle, makes speed ok.
What trips us up is that the problem only seems to occurs when the vehicle is in gear.
Otherwise, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump and distributor cap/rotor are all things we plan on checking. OBDii scanner is on the cards but the truck is out bush at the moment, there isn't exactly a shop to go buy one. Thoughts?

Cheers
MB

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a good quality distributor cap and rotor, decent plugs and wires, and if you need to rely on this truck, carry a spare ignition module.

Artinaudio

Reaction score
I know this may sound weird but have you tried shifting the transmission manually? If all the fuel spark ect. Has been checked and all seems right then I'd look towards the transmission.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
So the initial idea for this truck is indeed to be a reliable daily. With the scope to do a restore in future years.
We factored in basic maintenance items like filters and plugs from the beginning. Will source distributor and rotor in the meantime.

We will experiment with gearshift and reverse and see what it does. I'm just curious how the gearbox could affect ignition, other then providing load on the engine? If I understand correctly throttle position is relayed to the gearbox?

Artinaudio

Reaction score
It's never personally happened to me but a buddy of mine has, his truck would seem to have a miss under load, usually at highway type speeds. Turned out the trans wasnt down shifting fast enough causing a miss type effect. He fixed the trans issue & problem went away. The way I see it is like this, wont cost anything to try.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
I have good news, it seems one of the ignition leads was secured poorly, resting on the extractors. Lead has been sorted and the problem is gone... so we will be getting all new leads. We will check through the rest of the ignition system as we go.
It seems there are no clips to hold the leads above the extractors, something to look for I guess

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Most Americans probably don't know that "extractors" are "headers".
2. The plug wire retainers must have been removed. There's a thousand ways to route and secure plug wires...just make sure that the wires for #5 and #7 are kept well-separated, and where they have to cross, they should cross at a 90 degree angle. You DO NOT want the spark intended for #5 to inductively couple to the #7 plug wire.
3. Whatever your eventual solution to the scan tool may be...you WILL need one if you're going to be working on a computer-controlled vehicle. Trying to fix a computer-controlled vehicle without a scan tool is madness. I've bought all my scan tools "used" from eBay; but how willing folks would be to ship to Australia is another issue. I have done that, and filling out the Customs paperwork is a dreaded task.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
1. Haha, I forgot about that. I'll do my best to speak 2 languages while here :p
2. Good tip in regards to #5 & #7, the vehicle will be off the road until I move back to North Queensland, so we have plenty of time to sort things like this out. I'm about 1600 miles away atm.
3. I'm looking into a few options. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a buddy near Gainesville Fl who is happy to send me stuff if need be. I was wondering if a Tech 2 clone will work? They were used on the early 2000 GM Holden Commodores which were LS powered.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
Cheers, I think I can get a Tech 2 easily enough. Dad has a Rodeo (Isuzu/GM) so for the two vehicles we work on a Tech 2 should be OK, I don't touch the wife's Toyota, it's the reliable modern car.