97 l29 crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assuming 5.7 or 5.0 L engine so if not please disregard.
Sounds like timing is off.
If you put the engine at TDC on the crank (balancer groove lined up with timing chain cover mark) with Cylinder 1 on the compression stroke then remove the distributor cap look at where the rotor is pointing. There is "8" (very small) on the distributor base that the rotor should be pointed to. If it is too far off the computer can not correct the ignition and fuel injection timing.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
Are you getting spark? Have to test with a tester. Here a link to my no start thread to try a few things.
Thread '7.4l Now no start' https://www.gmt400.com/threads/7-4l-now-no-start.52786/
Tested with inline spark tester, was showing spark. Timing light was showing 14 degrees BTDC, which I think is too much, but couldn't find a for sure answer what it should be. Have not retested since new coil and distributor though. I don't know if I getting dizzy out a tooth or 2 on cam, I'm lining up timing marks on it and balancer on compression stroke. I read somewhere the flat part of dizzy should almost be parallel with back of intake when installed.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
I assuming 5.7 or 5.0 L engine so if not please disregard.
Sounds like timing is off.
If you put the engine at TDC on the crank (balancer groove lined up with timing chain cover mark) with Cylinder 1 on the compression stroke then remove the distributor cap look at where the rotor is pointing. There is "8" (very small) on the distributor base that the rotor should be pointed to. If it is too far off the computer can not correct the ignition and fuel injection timing.
7.4 but I still think its timing related. I've seen that info about an 8 being there, I don't know if it's not on the L29's or I'm just blind, lol.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the distributor in the 7.4 but if you put the crank at TDC on the compression stroke, remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointed, determine if it pointed to #1 wire on the cap you should be able to determine if you are a tooth or two off on the distributor gear.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
FIXED! Sorry for the delayed response, been working out other small gremlins, and trying to clean up 2 years' worth of grime from sitting. I ended up finding some damaged wires behind engine, either I pinched them, or something chewed them. Had a few strands of wire left, would ohm out but not carry a load. I had this engine tore down to the block, so glad it was something small. Got to cruise around with the family loaded up today. Man, I've missed this truck. Thanks everyone for the input.