97 l29 crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
I have recently buttoned my l29 back up but having issues getting it running. Will crank, backfire through exhaust every once in a while, but won't start. Cranking is uneven, seems to be a timing issue, but no codes are present. Has new injectors, new coil and new distributor. Fuel pressure is good, 55 psi if I remember correctly. I am limited as far as hooking up and reading ECM, I was using HP tuners scan tool to read the codes off. It was showing MAF reading .32 key on engine off, but this could just be a false reading. Unplugged MAF still would not start. Any help would be appreciated.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
I know on TPI engines you have to jump some wires to adjust base timing, and on some marine applications (according to google) you have to jump some wires in diagnostic port to adjust base time on a l29. Didn't know if it was something like that or not.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone here told me to pull #3 plug wire and if it starts , you likely have a bad cap. Tried and proven test.

New doesn't mean good. Been there too.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
Someone here told me to pull #3 plug wire and if it starts , you likely have a bad cap. Tried and proven test.

New doesn't mean good. Been there too.
I'll give it a shot, but old dizzy and this new one still acted the same as far as no start.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
Did I post this in the right section? Not seeing much feedback, I am thankful for the 2 responses out of 120 some odd views I suppose. But this issue is getting to be time sensitive. Long story short, I need to get this truck running to drive while my black TA goes to the body shop to get fixed after co-worker hit it with a semi. I already had to delay body shop once because I couldn't get it straightened out, trying not to miss the next deadline because shop has already ordered parts. If anyone is pretty sharp on this platform and in N AL willing to pay to get it going.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did I post this in the right section?

I think you'd probably get more responses if you put this in the "Engine Performance + Maintenance" section, I can move it there if you want. This section is really more for forum issues or ideas.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
I think you'd probably get more responses if you put this in the "Engine Performance + Maintenance" section, I can move it there if you want. This section is really more for forum issues or ideas.
Yes, please relocate it, as I said it's somewhat time sensitive to get fixed. Thanks.