97 5.7L Vortec has tough time starting in cold temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I actually shot this video earlier to shame my neighbor who insists he needs that silly block heater, it's 8 f out here today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I agree, Battery, clean cables, (big 3 upgrade if possible), should get you back where you need to be.

I shot a video of mine giving all it has to start at -17C... but at least it did start on it's own and without a block heater.

The cables are new (1.5y), they were replaced at the same time is the starter. The battery poles and connectors on the cables are clean too. I suspect the PO put in some cheap battery, he didn't drive it much during the 7 years he had it...

What's a good CCA? I looked at one battery and it said 710 but I don't know if that's good or not?

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I looked at my battery, 12V 54Ah... looked it up and CCA is 500. Would 95Ah and CCA 740 be enough, or is 105Ah and CCA 780 better?

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and 500 is way too low for that truck

The more CCA the better honestly for cold weather like we have now. 0 with -15 wind chill here today

I have a Advance auto parts battery with 800 CCA and started just find this morning

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I looked at my battery, 12V 54Ah... looked it up and CCA is 500. Would 95Ah and CCA 740 be enough, or is 105Ah and CCA 780 better?

The Ah part is the reserve capacity, how long it will last without being charged at a drain of 1 amp. CCA is probably the most important part we need to look at. The 780 would be a much better battery, although at seven years old, any new battery will be a big improvement lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like i said earlier in the thread, if it's within your budget then I'd strongly recommend an Odyssey battery. I'm convinced that they're the best AGMs on the market, and I know you'd love one living in a cold climate. Free replacement warranty for four years too!

Like stated above though, 540CCA is quite small for these trucks. Anything closer to 800CCA should be a big improvement.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
500 cca is probably rating at 32 degrees in sub 32 degre temps that considerable to maybe 400cca on a brand new battery, much too low. id aim much much higher, 700+ is easily attainable,

as far as cheap batterys, nothing really wrong with them, AGM is somewhat superior, optimas are an agm but no longer top dog, id go a regular acid battery over an optima, a good AGM would more or less be something east penn (deka) branded, Johnson controls agms suck so essentially any autozone, oriellys, advanced AGM battery.

considering theres only three major manufacturers of batterys, you dont have a ton to worry about when buying a cheap battery, typically that 80 dollar battery at meijer or whatever is the same battery as autozone or oriellys but a different sticker.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The Die
Seems like the right time to say: "Go big, or go home!" when it comes to batteries.

Kinda depends on how much you care lol. My tow truck has a Diehard Platinum AGm, as does my GF's Lincoln. My GMC, was 600 dollar's, it has a tested good junkyard battery in it lol.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
We have battery manufacturers here in Sweden and other European manufacturers that make some of the best batteries in the world, I'll get one of those since both me and my dad have been using them in our cars, trucks and boats for many many years and never had problems. Buying Swedish or European is alot cheaper than buying from the US. I'll get the biggest battery that fits under the hood. :)
Thanks for all the help guys, I had no idea about CCA ratings until now.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
and 500 is way too low for that truck

The more CCA the better honestly for cold weather like we have now. 0 with -15 wind chill here today

I have a Advance auto parts battery with 800 CCA and started just find this morning

Yeah, I've noticed :) I wish I'd known about CCA, I thought my truck was dying on me.

The Ah part is the reserve capacity, how long it will last without being charged at a drain of 1 amp. CCA is probably the most important part we need to look at. The 780 would be a much better battery, although at seven years old, any new battery will be a big improvement lol.

I've learned alot about batteries the past few days :) My dad said to 'get the biggest battery that fits' so I'll probably get the 105Ah 780cca one.
Sorry, I meant the PO had it for 7 years but didn't use it much and he had to replace the battery right before I bought it cos the old one was shot, he probably got the cheapest battery he could find.

Like i said earlier in the thread, if it's within your budget then I'd strongly recommend an Odyssey battery. I'm convinced that they're the best AGMs on the market, and I know you'd love one living in a cold climate. Free replacement warranty for four years too!

Like stated above though, 540CCA is quite small for these trucks. Anything closer to 800CCA should be a big improvement.

I found a place here that sells Odyssey batteries, one that would work is $380, a Swedish battery that is equal is $150 so it's not really in the 'budget'... It's my daily and I just need it to start when I need it to, I'd rather spend money on making it fast or looking good than a battery.

500 cca is probably rating at 32 degrees in sub 32 degre temps that considerable to maybe 400cca on a brand new battery, much too low. id aim much much higher, 700+ is easily attainable,

as far as cheap batterys, nothing really wrong with them, AGM is somewhat superior, optimas are an agm but no longer top dog, id go a regular acid battery over an optima, a good AGM would more or less be something east penn (deka) branded, Johnson controls agms suck so essentially any autozone, oriellys, advanced AGM battery.

considering theres only three major manufacturers of batterys, you dont have a ton to worry about when buying a cheap battery, typically that 80 dollar battery at meijer or whatever is the same battery as autozone or oriellys but a different sticker.

CCA is rated at 0F, CA or MCA is rated at 0C (32F), I've been googling. :)
Either way 500 cca is not enough, I'm going for a sealed maintenance free battery.