97 4l60E trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
I have a 97 Blazer 4 door 4.3 4x4 4L60E. Runs and drives great, with the exception of one little problem.

Once it gets warm/hot, the transmission starts banging into 1st gear, when downshifting. for example.

Driving along, 35+ mph. Come to stop sign, apply brake, stop. Let off brake and apply gas, Vehicle starts moving, slowly (presumibly in 2nd gear) then BANG 1st gear and goes as normal. 1-2 shift is smooth, as is 2-3 and 3-4. does not do it when engine and trans are cold. I had an electrical issue with the ignition switch, replaced the switch and fixed that issue. I do have a random cylinder 6 misfire popping up on occasion... thinking a carbon'd up contact inside the cap/rotor but i believe this issue is not related. if i manually drop the gear selector into 1, it does click/bang a bit into 1st but grabs hard, drives well... What are your thoughts? I have not tested the TPS yet... i switched the MAF with my wifes truck (96 4.3) just to test a MAF code i was getting with the bad ignition switch, which has sense cleared. i have two trains of thought on this...

1: solenoid sticking/weak
2: transmission mount weak/broke

any and all advise would be appreciated.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely it is. It's an easy solonoid to replace, I would slap one on and try it. Would have been nice to know that other code though. If it was me, I would drive it a day or so and get them checked again. It may be the 1870 code.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
Code still hasn't come back. last night i found the trans is torqing pretty bad in both directions (D and R with brake on) and the mount is oil saturated. going to do a fluid/filter drop and fill, and the mount. hope it fixes the problem. the fluid is red(ish) but is thick... not thin/wattery like it should be. I don't know what additives the previous owner has put in there..... Code has not come back yet. had it at 60+ mph, with TCC locked... it won't trip codes. i know the ignition switch being bad will throw every trans code in teh book... and i think it just hadn't cleared. i'm giving it to tonight... if the codes dont' come back, i'm going to do the fluid/pan. question however.. if i drop the pan/filter... how do i change out the fluid in the converter? i want to change as much as possible.