97' 4.3L Engine Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheTitan97

Reaction score
okay so i have a 1997 chevy W/T 2WD single cab shortbed with the vortec 4.3L engine in it. and iv come across a 1993 GMC 4WD surburban with the 5.7L my question is how hard would it be to make the 93' 5.7 work in my 1997 chevy truck? the suburban is complete so i have the wiring harness and computer it just needs more work than its worth but the engine runs great. i thought id remove the 5.7 do some freshening up on it and then then work towards mounting it into my truck.but would the 93' wiring harness work with the rest of my truck like the dashboard, transmission, and since the suburban is 4WD can i get by without using parts of the 4WD harness?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI the engine in your '97 is a Vortec, the '93 is TBI. Personally I'd at least look for a Vortec (96+) 350 but that's just my opinion.

TheTitan97

Reaction score
well can the swap be done? a friend of mine said it would be easier to swap it in and carb the 5.7. but id like to stay fuel injected if possible.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't remember the specific numbers, but your V6 isn't too far away from a TBI 350. Nothing wrong with TBI but they don't come with the best of heads. Plus swapping the harness for TBI would be a major pain. I'd stay with the V6 or find a Vortec 350.

TheTitan97

Reaction score
How would the harness swap over? Im not trying to make a hot rod id just like a little more power for pulling and what not. I can get the whole suburban for really cheap too and my truck is worth puttin this effort into. If needed a can switch the 5.7 to carb if it would work better that way?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I think the TBI 350 has only like 15 horse more. Not worth the effort. It wouldn't be just a harness swap. Everything about the wiring is different. Not worth time or effort. Carb swap isn't that easy either. Just find a vortec 350

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could get a tune done on your truck and probably match the TBI 350 horsepower and come close to the torque.

Gage_Whitmore

Reaction score
I drive a 97 4.3l vortec same body style as yours. My best friend has a 94 5.7 tbi ext. can short box, my truck is a manual while his is an automatic. My truck whooped his truck! The tbi are underpowered gas guzzlers! Look for a bigger vortec in my opinion !

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
You could get a tune done on your truck and probably match the TBI 350 horsepower and come close to the torque.
I doubt you are going to get a naturally-aspirated 4.3L Vortec to produce anywhere near the same amount of torque as a 350, even if it is TBI.