97 2500 ground straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 97 2500 I’m having a bit of an issue hoping maybe it’s ground issues? I replaced the headlight and turn signal harness today previous one was cut out. I hooked everything up turned on the lights, they didn’t come on but the wipers came on and the speedometer kind of bounced a bit. When I turned headlights off it quit. I do have a ground I know of not connected which is the strap coming from underneath the A/C on the cab to frame ( the cab where it was originally mounted is rusted out and didn’t have any self tappers on hand ) would that be the issue or possibly a different one maybe? I switched the engine harness over from my 96 vortec Yukon so could something be different in the two harnesses maybe? I’m a bit confused at the moment and any help is yet again appreciated!

Attachments

• 7FE60781-871E-47E7-9E8E-838A21D0F352.jpeg
    7FE60781-871E-47E7-9E8E-838A21D0F352.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 2

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the service manuals? You can download them for free here. In the electric diagnosis section 8 lists all systems, where they get power and where they are grounded. There are figures with veiws of the wires and where they attach. It's a heck of alot easier to look at the wires and pictures rather than try to explain every detail.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the service manuals? You can download them for free here. In the electric diagnosis section 8 lists all systems, where they get power and where they are grounded. There are figures with veiws of the wires and where they attach. It's a heck of alot easier to look at the wires and pictures rather than try to explain every detail.
Where can I find them?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where can I find them?

Here's a link.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Unfortunately we don't have factory service manuals for a '97 here though. Just '88-'95 and '98. The '98 manuals should be pretty similar to what you need, but I know there were some wiring differences between '97 and '98 so if you want 100% accuracy you may need to buy a set of the '97 manuals. They can be found on eBay for $150-$200 in paper form, or possibly much cheaper in digital form on CD.

Also just FYI I'm going to move this thread to the Audio + Electronics section as it's not really an Engine question.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a link.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Unfortunately we don't have factory service manuals for a '97 here though. Just '88-'95 and '98. The '98 manuals should be pretty similar to what you need, but I know there were some wiring differences between '97 and '98 so if you want 100% accuracy you may need to buy a set of the '97 manuals. They can be found on eBay for $150-$200 in paper form, or possibly much cheaper in digital form on CD.

Also just FYI I'm going to move this thread to the Audio + Electronics section as it's not really an Engine question.
Thanks buddy