96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's official. I am boosted now. I had a slight issue with belt alignment for the blower but I got it taken care of. Truck is just humming along. I just went for a 10 mile maiden cruise. My truck has no business going this fast. The power is just there, from off idle to WOT and the supercharger whine is so badass. The best way I can summarize it is the acceleration feels effortless.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far I am seeing IATs between 180-220F under full acceleration. This supports exactly what hquick said.

My volant CAI is pulling air from the engine compartment right now. You can see that below. I am hoping that I can get some fresh cooler air routed to that inlet and drop the temps a bit.

You must be registered for see images

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a modified stock setup would be best, or do a ram air addition to the Volant, 180* is way to high, I wish I could come for a ride!!!

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a modified stock setup would be best, or do a ram air addition to the Volant, 180* is way to high, I wish I could come for a ride!!!

I think I am going to cut a hole in the inner fender and route the CAI with 90 degree elbow down to the fender. Then I will build a splash guard where the intake pulls air from the sides of the guard instead of straight in where it can get wet or dirty. Won't be ram air but cold air.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I am going to cut a hole in the inner fender and route the CAI with 90 degree elbow down to the fender. Then I will build a splash guard where the intake pulls air from the sides of the guard instead of straight in where it can get wet or dirty. Won't be ram air but cold air.

That will be much much better, and even wrap all of the intake tract you can in aluminum tape to reflect heat, every 10* drop in IAT temps is I think 1% HP and with that WHipple the cooler the better, its a much bigger issue then on a N/A setup.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha. There is literally no intake tract. It goes from Volant box to MAF to supercharger to intake manifold. There is very little tubing.

I sure wish I could take advantage of that high pressure air coming in from the cowl hood. It just seems like it would take a lot of tubing and just be a pain in the ass.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be more work then it is worth and to many restrictions would ensure, I think opening up the fender and re routing things will help, but I am serious about wrapping all of what you can in the alum reflective tape, once that charger gets hot and things get heat soaked the IAT will really start to climb