96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The skys from heaven have opened up and delivered a Whipple supercharger to me for my Vortec 454 in my 96 K3500. Follow this thread for the detailed installation and results. I will pick up the supercharger tomorrow from a running truck. The owner assured my that I can have every single piece related to the charger to make sure I have a complete kit. Stay tuned for pics, installation, running, etc.

If anyone has a Vortec 454, I will be selling a rare Volant CAI and headers soon.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I have the Whipple charger in my hands. This kit offers 6lb of boost to the sometimes lethargic L29 and from what I have read it really wakes it up. The supercharger is very clean. The oil was clean and the unit was in great shape.

You must be registered for see images

I was very surprised to find that I got a nice set of ceramic coated JBA stainless headers free with the supercharger.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My plan is to rely on a tuner that I know and trust- Lyndon out of Wester's Garage in Canada. He has been providing me NA tunes for 2 years now and he happens to be very familiar with tuning the L29 with superchargers. He is going to send me flow matched 42/lb-hr injectors and a custom supercharger tune ECM. This way, I don't have to use any of Whipple's piggyback stuff.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered all of my system monitoring gear today. I have had good luck with Innovate Motorsports data logging products. I already have 2 LC-1s for AFR and an OT-1 for datalogging installed on my truck. I kept going back and fourth whether I wanted live gauges or not. I decided to forgo the real gauges and instead add the Innovate Motorsports LMA-3 aux box to my OT-1. The Aux box has an input port for EGT and an input port for manifold pressure (e.g. boost). I can use this tool to supplement my existing datalogs and I can display 'virtual' EGT and boost gauges with the use of the netbook.

You must be registered for see images

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some templates of your brackets. If you dont mind just making a couple of tracings and scanning them and emailing them It'd be Awesome!!