96 Suburban ABS Module - unfixable and unsure what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Hanson

Reaction score
The current scanner you have is capable of 90% of what a DIY might need.

The factory GM Tech 2 scanner(or Ebay Clone) is capable of doing some additional engine control functions for your year, as well as communicate with the ABS module, the factory Delcotron radio, the SRS(Airbag) module, and the Electronic Transfer Case Encoder(if equipped with push button 4WD).

The only tool you are lacking is a stand-alone ABS scan tool which also has the functionality to engage the bleeding function. The keywords in the product description would state something like Bidirectional communication.

If you want cheap on the cheap, I saw at Walmart the other day a Hypertough OBD2 dongle(HT200) for $50 that claimed to do everything you need. The catch? It's locked to one vehicle and certain functions may have to be purchased in-app. Otherwise, it seems like there isn't a scan tool for under $150 that will read/erase/bleed the ABS module.

Other than seeing the product, I did not purchase it or demo it in any way.

This is kind of a tricky thing it seems. I saw some HT200s on eBay going for $40 and figured at that price I might just pull the trigger. I held off though when one of the reviews was extremely critical of the unit specifically related to ABS (albeit for a 2005). Maybe I'll read more on it...there are some that are happy with the unit but it would be a bummer if it doesn't do the one thing I need at the moment...

"OK for engine codes, but useless for diagnosing ABS, no upgrade available
To activate the unit, you have to download QR code reader app to read the code on the side of unit. Then you need to select & download the app for the vehicle you will be using it on. Unit is OK for diagnosing engine codes, but is useless for ABS issues, which is what I purchased it for. There is no ABS diagnostics for 2005 GM vehicles, and apparently not firmware or software upgradable. You get 1 free app with activation, apps for additional vehicle brands, you have to pay for. I needed to troubleshoot the ABS on my vehicle, and this unit was no help. I tried a high end scanner I borrowed from a friend & that diagnosed ABS issue as right rear speed sensor. The HT200 is ok for an engine issue, but you get what you pay for with other problems."

I did see this one on Amazon for $134 that says bi-directional... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...CYXNY&linkId=ad007e5f0accd69dfcc2f52976abb493

Last edited: