96 K2500 Suburban won't shift out of Park. Any ideas beyond fuse fixes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96 WarWagon

Reaction score
96 K2500 Suburban won't shift out of Park. Any ideas beyond fuse fixes? Looking for ways to determine what needs repaired or replaced.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The lever can't shift out of Park? Disconnect the shift interlock solenoid. Remove that kick panel and you'll see it.

Or are you able to put it in a different gear and truck doesn't move?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The lever can't shift out of Park? Disconnect the shift interlock solenoid. Remove that kick panel and you'll see it.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 K2500 Suburban won't shift out of Park. Any ideas beyond fuse fixes? Looking for ways to determine what needs repaired or replaced.
Is it on a slope? I've had it where I couldn't get it out of park without literally using both arms and reefing on the shifter, typically when its on a slope for whatever reason, maybe a lot of pressure on the parking pawl and it just has so much friction it doesn't wanna pop out.

NOTE: My truck does not have the shift interlock, so there IS something else that can cause this, IDK what but it's happened to me a few times, and I always have to fix it with brute force.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree unless it's on an incline I would unhook the lock from the column as well. I've had this issue accidentally I could shift without pressing the brake lol

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it on a slope? I've had it where I couldn't get it out of park without literally using both arms and reefing on the shifter, typically when its on a slope for whatever reason, maybe a lot of pressure on the parking pawl and it just has so much friction it doesn't wanna pop out.

NOTE: My truck does not have the shift interlock, so there IS something else that can cause this, IDK what but it's happened to me a few times, and I always have to fix it with brute force.
It's pressure on the pawl that causes what you're talking about. It's similar to having the steering locked in such a way that the key won't turn until you take the pressure off by turning the wheel slightly.

96 WarWagon

Reaction score

I appreciate everyone trying to help us fix this issue. Truck runs, brake lights work, and the transmission will shift on the transmission without the cable end attached. A dealer mentioned replacing a solenoid on the steering column but was unable to describe its actual location. Can someone provide this information?

There were several good recommendations but I need to understand where the kickplate resides? It it the black metal panel under the steering column you're referring. Do I need to disassemble the pad under the steering wheel too?

Do any of these repairs put me in danger of the air bag?

96 WarWagon

Reaction score

Where exactly is the shift interlock solenoid?

96 WarWagon

Reaction score
It's pressure on the pawl that causes what you're talking about. It's similar to having the steering locked in such a way that the key won't turn until you take the pressure off by turning the wheel slightly.
It is level and not on a slope.

96 WarWagon

Reaction score

How do I fix? What needs replacing? And where is the solenoid located?

There are no diesel mechanics near me and the Chevrolet dealers are backed up for weeks. This why we're most in need of direction.

96 WarWagon

Reaction score
Not

It is level. Not on a slope.