96 K1500 Leaking Clutch Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a 96 K1500 with a manual 5speed. Its leaking clutch/brake fluid somewhere! I can't seem to find any puddles or signs of where it's leaking. All I really can seem to find out that after probably 5 minutes of pumping the clutch or a day of sitting the resavoir for the fluid is empty. Like I said no puddles or signs. I've looked into the master clutch cylinder and it definitely looks worn but no clear signs and I'm really hoping it's not the slave cylinder lmao. Any suggestions?! Thanks guys!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Check inside the cab of the truck down the firewall and under the carpet where the clutch rod engages the clutch master. Thats usually where they leak. If its not going there, keep adding and pumping, its got to be going somewhere. If you have an internal slave like my 98, Pray its not it, or you might as well pull the motor and do a clutch job.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check inside the cab of the truck down the firewall and under the carpet where the clutch rod engages the clutch master. Thats usually where they leak. If its not going there, keep adding and pumping, its got to be going somewhere. If you have an internal slave like my 98, Pray its not it, or you might as well pull the motor and do a clutch job.
replaced the master clutch cylinder it needed to be replaced but turns out the slave cylinder is bad too. so clutch and slave cylinder job coming up... -____-

98_k1500

Reaction score
I put my motor in only to use the clutch 3 times and the slave blew out. Right back out she came. Super simple setup, you need a line quick disconnect tool to get the line off it tho.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might just take it a shop.. I dont know if I wanna try and do this all in my driveway. I'm not sure how to get the top bell housing bolts out. Also looking for a nice clutch. Basic stage one but much more durable cause I'm not doing this again. lol. I just need a good guide to do it on my own.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my motor in only to use the clutch 3 times and the slave blew out. Right back out she came. Super simple setup, you need a line quick disconnect tool to get the line off it tho.

Honestly how hard is a clutch and slave to do? Mind you i dont have much clearance, i have no tranny stand/truck aint sitting to high off pavement either. Basic tools, suggest an impact wrench?

98_k1500

Reaction score
I don't know of much that an impact wrench will help. Personally, i'd pull the motor. easiest way to hold the trans is wrap a ratchet strap around both frame rails and under the trans and tighten it up. That way the truck can be moved with the motor out of it if you need to.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You won't need an engine stand, just a cherry picker, or a chain hoist and a good limb.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't need an engine stand, just a cherry picker, or a chain hoist and a good limb.

So I'm just going to be dropping out the whole trans, once you loosen it and it drops back apparently you can reach the top bolts. Is there any guides out that you may know of or any good resources to help?