96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Mine is still going strong.....although it helped to change the pulley back to factory size, as the '04 5.3 alt pulley is bigger than the '96 pulley.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the 130amp upgrade and iit was out of an 02 Suburban. I went to pep boys and asked for the factory belt for my 97 with the 140 amp alternator and it works great so far.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Also, make sure when you get your belt size, that you get a very good quality belt, else you'll have problems with too much stretching. The cheaper belts(under $20) will stretch a whole inch during break-in, so unless you can pre-stretch one to fit, then you'll have a hard time getting one to fit as it'll be too small at first, but if you go up a half inch size to make it fit, the 1" total stretch will make the tensioner bottom out. I had to swap to my factory alt to fit a cheapy belt, tensioner was at the top. After first break-in(yes they stretch twice, first stretch happens after a good 1 mile sprint, second happens after driving for a while), the belt had stretched a half inch, so it was in the green area of the tensioner(not too tight, not too loose). So I swapped back to the new alt, which brought tensioner back to the top. I had to drive a 500-mile round trip the next day, sometime during the trip, it stretched the second time(another half inch) and is now in the green zone of the tensioner.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Also, if you have the tensioner that rides against back of belt, and it has a lip on either side of tensioner, to help centerline belt. This tensioner is preferred ofcourse, but not so readily available for replacement. If you have the other type that is smooth, and made of stamped steel, it's very dangerous to romp or drive it hard if your tensioner isn't in the green zone. If it's bottomed out, you might hear some accessory whine as the belt slips. If it's too tight, it can very easily slip off the pulley.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just the thread I was looking for, what does everyone think about grabbing a junkyard one to run or just go to OReily and buy a new one?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well SUmmit carries Tuff Stuff Alternators and they have a good price and I have $20 off from them, I think I am going to order one, made in the USA and 1 yr warranty.