95' RC Z71 LQ9 project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this forum and was told by a FSC member to go to gmt400 so here I am.:)

I've been wanting to do this for some time now. I ran across a good deal on a lower mileage LQ9 a few weeks ago so I picked it up.

I have big plans for this build and hope to have it all done (besides paint) by this coming spring. My grandfather give me this truck for 2 dollors (yep $2 bucks LOL!) about 6 years ago with 156k miles on the clock. It's been my daily driver pretty much since then and now has 237k on the clock. It's still all origional and everything works perfectly.

Since I was 16 years old all I have ever drove is this bodystyle RC. I had a 95,96,and 98 all were 2wd besides this 95'. So I'm kinda partial to these 95-98 trucks. I don't plan to ever sell this truck so I'd like to fix it up a bit.

I don't want to make a long post on what I plan to do so I'll just put up what I've done so far and purchased as of now.

05' LQ9 70K miles
17'' wheels tires
00' Escalade gauges
99' tahoe ash trey
Drop keys
Comp/temp rear view mirror
Shackle hanger kit for the rear
Complete LED's for the interior

The first picture is of the truck before I started working on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

This picture is with just the 17'' wheels

This one is after the lowering kit and some 265/65/17 pull off tires. It's still a little higher in the front but I got it aligned and it drives and rides smooth so I'm going to leave it alone for awhile.

Here's one of the doner engine..

This picture is for the one's that aren't familar with the 96+ ash tray mod

Here's the escalade gauges with LED's. Also done the whole interior with LED'S.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I'm a off road guy so if I am way off on this just let me know........WHY? Why would you lower a 4x4 :shrug:

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a off road guy so if I am way off on this just let me know........WHY? Why would you lower a 4x4 :shrug:

It's a ''STREET'' truck not offroad.

Honestly I've never been a fan off jacked up trucks. They look good but what good does it do if your not going off road? I'm more about performance and handling.:)

I had an idea in mind before I even started this and it's coming along well.

Last edited:

Redaddiction

Reaction score
I'll be following this thread, I just picked up a 1991 Z71 GMC and would like to do the same swap. Make sure to take lots of pictures.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im an offroad guy so at first i thought the same thing about ya lowerin a 4x4. but its somethin different. i kinda like the idea really. a few people have given me a hard time about the old beater im doing an lsx swap with. everybody sees whats right there right now, and not the potential.

good luck with the build, im lookin forward to seein it come along. what are your plans for building the motor?

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im an offroad guy so at first i thought the same thing about ya lowerin a 4x4. but its somethin different. i kinda like the idea really. a few people have given me a hard time about the old beater im doing an lsx swap with. everybody sees whats right there right now, and not the potential.

good luck with the build, im lookin forward to seein it come along. what are your plans for building the motor?

Thanks!!

I'm going to leave the bottom end stock on the 6.0 I plan to do heads/cam and have thought about a TBSS intake. I'm not sure if I can use the 3 engine covers with a TBSS intake.