95 K1500 5.7 - Speedo, Tacho, Odometer, PRNDL, Shifts Weird - VSS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I'm assuming issue is vehicle speed sensor at the transmission output? My mother's Honda had the same issue and replacing that fixed the problem.

It's not my truck anymore I sold it to my ex but I'm going to be fixing it. Is it safe to drive even though the tranny shifts weird with a dead speed sensor?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Please explain a little more on your issue, I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. To answer your question on safety: it's fine, but I would fix it asap.

If it's anything of what I am thinking, then it's most likely the ignition switch. Are you experiencing: no tach/speedo, odometer not moving, doesn't downshift or upshift, no PRND321 lights? If so, it's an ignition switch failure.

mistaake

Reaction score
Please explain a little more on your issue, I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. To answer your question on safety: it's fine, but I would fix it asap.

If it's anything of what I am thinking, then it's most likely the ignition switch. Are you experiencing: no tach/speedo, odometer not moving, doesn't downshift or upshift, no PRND321 lights? If so, it's an ignition switch failure.

Sorry, I mean the tach, odometer, and speedometer are dead, and the transmission is shifting abnormally. You are saying that's probably the ignition switch, not the speed sensor? Hmm...

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like an ignition switch issue to me, others may want to chime in. It is a $130 part, but easy enough to replace.