95 k1500 5.7 slight rough idle while stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
So since I've owned this truck. Now 5k miles and around 8 months. I've had a rough idle when stopped. Wether I've been driving it for awhile or not. Not in the beginning I replaced things that were obviously in need of replacing. I have replaced a fuel filter, because it was clogged, I have put a brand new air filter in because the old one was fairly dirty. I replaced the pcv valve and hose. Because I noticed the hose was cracked. And the valve was replaced because of preventive maintenance. I also put brand new spark plugs in, the ones in the truck were fairly old. They showed signs of some carbon build up as well. I guess that's to be expected at 207k when I changed them. Any ideas what could be causing the rough idle? Thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify ALL tune-up parts and procedures: Cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, PCV, EGR, charcoal canister/evap system, initial timing and electronic spark advance.

Check for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold gaskets, and TBI gaskets.

Verify fuel pressure at prime and under load.

Connect a scan tool, check EVERY sensor and computer output. Look at the fuel trims. And you'll very likely need an O2 sensor.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, these trucks don't really idle smoothly. What you're describing as a "slight rough idle" may be completely normal. Mine has some slight but noticeable vibrations and idle speed variations when stopped. Despite what people think, V8 engines aren't inherently smooth.