95' C2500 just died...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was on my way to work this morning driving my son's beast ('95 Chevy C2500 Cheyenne) when it lunged a few times and died. I managed to get to the center lane of the highway I was on to look the truck over. There are no visible signs of catastrophic failure. The motor turns over but will not fire.

I'm thinking the fuel pump has failed and it not getting fuel to the TBI.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm not familiar with this engine or any issues that these trucks may have.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your trouble, it's always unfortunate to have issues like that while headed down the road. Glad you're safe. If you have the truck somewhere you can work on it, and have a fuel pressure gauge handy (auto stores rent them out for a small fee, then fully refund you on returning the tool) hook the gauge up to the fuel port on the rail, should be close to rear area of the intake. Have an assistant crank the engine and see what the gauge reads, if I'm not mistaken the pressure should sit around 60 to 65 psi. Also, pop your head out the driver window and turn the key to the "on" position. You should hear the pump whirl up behind you, around the gas cap area. Hope this helps, good luck!

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be around 9 to 13 psi. Think you're thinking about Vortecs

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately no test port on a tbi either. I start by removing the line from the tank side of the inline filter then turn the key. Then diagnose from there depending on whether or not you get fuel.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Squirt some starter fluid in the throttle body. If it hits then its likely your pump. If it doesn't then It's spark. That will answer at least one question.

Reaction score
Well, I found the problem. Since we were gonna be working on the truck, I figured we'd go ahead and do a complete tune up on it. Replaced the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires and turned it over just for giggles. Truck started right up!!! Turns out the truck wasn't getting any spark...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, help, and advice. Now, it's off to do some other tune up stuff, work on the A/C problem, and find the tranny leak.

Thanks again