95+ blend door actuator help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the blend door actuator in a 95+ interior? I'm referring to the one behind the center of the dash, near the ashtray. Mine likes to stick when I go past 3/4 heat, which is annoying as hell on those days when its only chilly in the morning. I've found someotherguy's writeup for the recir actuator and the mode actuator looks simple enough, but I can't find anything on this one.

It looks like I'll have to either drill holes in the dashboard behind the knee bolster panel or remove the dash. I'm guessing removing the dash would be the best since I need to replace the recir actuator and seals around the doors anyways. Just not looking forward to pulling it once again.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No need to pull the dash. At the most you'll need to tilt it back. 95-up you know the drill since you've been there; lower the column, pull the screws across the defrost vent, pull the kick panels and the bolt at each end under the dash, find that one rotten screw that always gets forgotten about around the bracing near the column, then tilt the dash down so you have room to work.

I haven't had to replace that particular actuator yet as it seems to be the one that gives the least amount of trouble, so I don't know if there's any good trick to doing it while the dash is in place.

Richard

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Thanks Richard. Yeah I know exactly what screw you're referring to lol.

Might be swapping the dash again anyways now. The dash I put in about four years ago is a little more cracked than I remember last time I pulled off the dash mat. :/

Sent from my Nintendo 64

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Thought I'd update this thread with how I replaced the temp and recir actuators... in frustration:

Just break the tabs off the actuators where the screws are difficult to get to. Cut the tabs off the new one and bevel the edges so they slip under the screws. Boom!

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did replacing the mode actuator fix this? or the HVAC controller?

I am having an issue where the A/C is ice cold when on defrost, but when on feet or vent (with A/C on) it is warm and you can see the actuator go back to mixed blend or if the A/C is off and temp still cold it goes back to mixed blend, then it goes to only cold air when the defrost is turned on....

So actuator or controller? I have ordered the actuator, but hate to replace if it is not bad.