95 5.7L 350 TBI Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Im at home bored with no money and want to do something with my truck. I've seen people take the black box off by the fender that leads to the air cleaner. What are the positives. More importantly what are the negatives? Is it just take the box and the accordion style hose off and whala? OR do I need to do something with the little black piece the box goes into? Thanks for the imput.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You ain't got to do nothing special, just take it off. I never noticed much difference good or bad when I had it off, but cleans up under the hood if nothing else. You could flip the lid if you want another option, but again, I never saw much difference. The only negatives are that the engine's sucking in hotter air.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I already flipped it and took it all off. I know the flipped lid made it a little louder. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting it any more than just sucking hot air. It is a temporary fix...

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a dremel could always do the TBI mods, just need a new TBI base gasket

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
If you have the single stud style throttle body you can always use the same style open elemet filters that older vehicles with 4 barrels use.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would take and remove the thermal flap. takes no money. all you need is something to cover the hole. then flip the lid back. if you got a little money get a piece of pvc to go from the fender to the acolden tube. bam diy cold air intake for less then $10

you could also do the salad bowl mod if you can weld.

you can bump the fuel psi up a touch with a quarter.

open filters suck, though you think they are better, they actually make less power.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
i would take and remove the thermal flap. takes no money. all you need is something to cover the hole. then flip the lid back. if you got a little money get a piece of pvc to go from the fender to the acolden tube. bam diy cold air intake for less then $10

you could also do the salad bowl mod if you can weld.

you can bump the fuel psi up a touch with a quarter.

open filters suck, though you think they are better, they actually make less power.

Can you go into more detail about the thermal flap and the fuel psi please?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
thermal flap is on the underside of the air cleaner lid that goes to the accordian looking tube. theres a flap there so it heats up your vehicle when its cold and at operating temp it closes. they take warm air right from the exhaust manifold.

as for fuel pressure on a stock engine its not needed but you can bump up your pressure a few psi by putting a quarter under the regulator spring. do the ultimate tbi mods as well.