94Sierra4x4.. upgrade to 97SilveradoZ71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Two new front Monroe shocks.. had bent shock tabs, upgraded to 1/2" grade 8 hardware, 1 of 4 holes was needed to be drilled out to 1/2" on each side. 3 out of 4 holes accepted a 1/2" bolt just fine.... weird.

"New" used rotors from the 94. Brakes feel great now.

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since this updated. Have gotten some work done to her and I'm in need of some advice on a couple other issues from the lot of you!

Picked this up on boxing day. Friend of mine gave me a hand with it, I had never installed a deck before. Easy peezy :/ Being able to plug my iphone into it has been awesome.
No, I wasn't listening to Eminem.. its just what was on the radio :shrug:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then it was time to get on with the dreaded IFS refurbishing. It took me probably 25 hours total to do this by myself, it was my first time doing it, so I took my time.

The only issue I have at this time, is that I failed to properly get the lower balljoint boot seated on the actual joint. The "grease relief" passage is being bypassed, and grease is coming out of the entire one side. Is it possible to get those boots on without removing the knuckle and using the press? I pressed the boot on on the passenger side and it worked great. I wish I thought of it on the drivers side. Any ideas guys?

Here's two pics of either side completed.
Drivers side:

Passenger side: The passenger side upper balljoint was riveted in. Yes, I now see why everyone hates them. That alone took 4 hours I bet... Yikes.. PITA!!

Replaced parts:
Upper and Lower balljoints
Wheel bearings
Brake pads
Brake rotors
Drivers side front axle seal
CV axles
sway bar links

I replaced the tie rods with ones from my 94. They had about 6months use.

I ordered a set of 285/75/16 Kelly Safari TSR, 10 ply today. Mounted, balanced, installed for $1137. They will be here Wednesday.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought you fell off the side of the planet. Lol. Good to see the truck getting some love

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
you will love the kellys that's what I have on my truck and I love them awesome in the snow and great in the mud so far I have 9k miles on mine and they have 14/32nds and they come new with 16

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I thought you fell off the side of the planet. Lol. Good to see the truck getting some love

I may as well have, lol. Just been taking it easy. Been neglecting and abusing her, it was time!
I was worried about digging into it, but a pickle fork and a ball joint press made things quite simple. The rivet passenger side balljoint was the worst thing ever.
All 4 balljoints were absolutely shot. I could shake those things and it would wiggle around! Yikes!

The truck drives straight as an arrow right now but my steering wheel is off center. Alignment on Wednesday

you will love the kellys that's what I have on my truck and I love them awesome in the snow and great in the mud so far I have 9k miles on mine and they have 14/32nds and they come new with 16

Glad to hear that man, thats what they will be seeing the most of, mud and snow. My old man put a set of 265/75/17 on his 2010. He loves them too.
What PSI you run them at? He runs his at 37.. He drives gravel 95% of the time. Guys at the tire shop said that was pretty low but he swears by the soft ride...