'93 K1500 Rear Drum Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sapper22

Reaction score
The rear brakes haven't worked for about five years because of a hole in the line between the gas tank and frame. I'm going to cut the line before and after the tank and splice in the new length of line I bought to save the headache of dropping the tank or raising the bed. Im pretty sure when I get brake fluid flowing back there again I'll have seizure problems. This is where I need some help and insite of what I will run into to get the drums working properly again.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
get a drum rebuild kit, that will include everything you need besides shoes and drums. Then leave once side together as a reference while your putting the other side back together. Not too difficult. you might need new wheel cylinders too since they havent worked for that long.

Sapper22

Reaction score
That don't sound as bad as I thought it would be. Thank you RichLo, sorry it took so long to reply.

cmcolfax

Reaction score
When I do rear drums I always do rear spring hardware just no matter what.

And more times than not will also do new wheel cylinders and end "soft" lines. They are cheap, easy to install since you have everything apart, and are going to have to bleed the brakes anyway.

I debate actual DRUM replacement.
If I know the vehicle's history (ie: last time, if ever they were re placed) I may or may not replace them.

If I reuse them, the outside gets wire wheeled like crazy to get them as de rusted and clean as possible, then doused with Brakleen, a coupla coats of self etching primer and a coupla coats of Rustoleum (usually silver or black)
The insides get hit with my little palm sized random orbital sander to deglaze then and put a fine non directional scuff on them.

If I have any doubts about trueness, roundness or run-out I'll replace them.
We're talking about BRAKES here!!!

The only other thing I do with brakes, no matter what, is I [bold] ALWAYS [/bold] "over buy" pads and shoes...