92 fuel gauge not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am having some issues with my 92 silverado. Recently, my fuel guage starting acting up real funny. It started off by reading at whatever fuel level it was at, then intermittently go down to empty (Not move at empty, sometimes it will go to empty but bounce a bit because going over bumps, inclines, etc..) Just not long ago, it decided to stay at the E mark and not move at all. Not sure what the problem is, I THINK it still goes to the middle when vehicle is turned off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An easy way to start is to buy a bottle of seafoam and a quart of tranny fluid. Dump them both into a full tank of fuel and drive it like you stole it. The seafoam and atf are both detergents and they help with cleaning up the sending unit in the tank. If it helps then the problem is the sending unit. If that doesn't get you anywhere then it is time to grab the multi meter and start checking wiring.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont know what I did, but when I went to start the truck this morning the fuel gauge was working again, and all day it didn`t go down. (down to empty, but did go down from using gas because of driving). I`m thinking about running a cleaner through the tank anyway because I`m sure 330k added some varnish and whatever else in the tank/lines.