92 2500 6 lug 4x4 NV4500 built SBC ext cab short box long term build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I did the first oil change. The oil was super super dirty! The oil filter looked like it was covered in 20 years of grease and grime! Incredible. Although it runs like a top this old 350 will be removed sooner rather than later in favour of the forged rod and piston 350. I left the good oil on the shelf and used cheapy stuff as I know it’s going to take 3 or 4 quick oil changes to flush out the crap, if it’s even possible. On these poorly neglected dirty engines I typically do add trans fluid to the crankcase 100 miles before oil changes to help remove crud.

In this case I should likely just remove the engine and hot tank it all to clean it. Toss it on the stand as a spare or sell it. I’ve already got 9 engines in the garage so I guess I should just run it till it has an issue.

I also removed the rear seat and vacuumed the interior and added the drivers buck seat so I could test drive and check the brakes which was a success. I will remove the seat again to clean it better it’s still rough.

Attachments

• IMG_4098.jpeg
    IMG_4098.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 3

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I did the first oil change. The oil was super super dirty! The oil filter looked like it was covered in 20 years of grease and grime! Incredible. Although it runs like a top this old 350 will be removed sooner rather than later in favour of the forged rod and piston 350. I left the good oil on the shelf and used cheapy stuff as I know it’s going to take 3 or 4 quick oil changes to flush out the crap, if it’s even possible. On these poorly neglected dirty engines I typically do add trans fluid to the crankcase 100 miles before oil changes to help remove crud.

In this case I should likely just remove the engine and hot tank it all to clean it. Toss it on the stand as a spare or sell it. I’ve already got 9 engines in the garage so I guess I should just run it till it has an issue.

I also removed the rear seat and vacuumed the interior and added the drivers buck seat so I could test drive and check the brakes which was a success. I will remove the seat again to clean it better it’s still rough.
I got my Skylark with about 120k and it was the most sludged up engine that I've ever seen. I ran 4 qts of 10w40 and 1 qt of atf for years. That engine died at 275k when the transmission slipped allowing the engine to over-rev and it threw a rod. That engine was spotless inside at 275k.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my Skylark with about 120k and it was the most sludged up engine that I've ever seen. I ran 4 qts of 10w40 and 1 qt of atf for years. That engine died at 275k when the transmission slipped allowing the engine to over-rev and it threw a rod. That engine was spotless inside at 275k.
Well that sure proves the theory of ATF works! How often were you changing the oil? I’m guessing you used conventional not synthetic.

I’m going to replace the spark plugs when I have a chance, I think it’s a 50/50 chance they are original based on the lack of maintenance I’ve seen so far.

The balljoints and tie rods were original, and it’s at 270,000 km or about 170,000 miles.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that sure proves the theory of ATF works! How often were you changing the oil? I’m guessing you used conventional not synthetic.

I’m going to replace the spark plugs when I have a chance, I think it’s a 50/50 chance they are original based on the lack of maintenance I’ve seen so far.

The balljoints and tie rods were original, and it’s at 270,000 km or about 170,000 miles.
I was changing the oil at 500 miles for the first change, 1000 for the second and 3000 afterwards. This was 1994 and we just had dead dinosaurs in a bottle. Valvoline was my favorite dinosaur.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was changing the oil at 500 miles for the first change, 1000 for the second and 3000 afterwards. This was 1994 and we just had dead dinosaurs in a bottle. Valvoline was my favorite dinosaur.

Sounds good I will try the same recipe for oil changes to flush out the grime. I need a few bottles of gunk remover the whole front end is a grease pit!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My exhaust kit got here! 12’ of 3.5” 304 stainless, still waiting on the 3.5” stainless mandrel bend package to get here. Right from the turbo it will be 3.5” to the bumper.

When you your exhaust is worth more truck you are doing it right lol!

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sounds good I will try the same recipe for oil changes to flush out the grime. I need a few bottles of gunk remover the whole front end is a grease pit!
Yup we had a square body Burb that the PO must've decided that "greasing the front end" meant "slapping grease all over each joint and figuring it'll soak in" because that's exactly what it looked like! Sunday afternoon, under Rawhide, I think the same idiot "greased" his front end....

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup we had a square body Burb that the PO must've decided that "greasing the front end" meant "slapping grease all over each joint and figuring it'll soak in" because that's exactly what it looked like! Sunday afternoon, under Rawhide, I think the same idiot "greased" his front end....
On mine it was a massive power steering leak that they left leaking for years, the fluid went everywhere and then being a farm truck all the mud and dirt stuck to the fluid creating an amazingly thick gross grease pit on the one side of the truck. Before selling the truck to me he finally fixed the power steering but it had to have been leaking for 10 years lol!