91' K2500 4wd Lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arruda

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting here but been lurking for a while. I finally got my 1991 k2500 4x4 and have always have had plans to lower it to get the motorcycles I plan to haul on the back a little easier and I just like they way it looks better.

Anyway I have searched everywhere for info on this and can't find anything. I could really use your help here guys, I see bell tech,dJm and mcgaughy's is the recommended choice for lowering kits but can't find any lowering kits for the 91 k2500 4wd! I see a 2wd kit occasionally but I'm assuming it won't fit my 4wd truck.

Are there kits out there for my truck? Or can this not be done? I'm looking for a suttle drop, 2-3in front with 4in in the back. Don't want bags or serious fab work, just a kit around 5-600$

Any comments or help will be appreciated, thank you!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm not much of a lowered guy but I'm pretty sure you picked one of the hardest trucks to lower being 4x4 and 3/4 ton

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Is it 8 of 6 lug. If its six it should be the same as a 1/2 ton such is purple keys out of a gmt800 the rear can be shackles and hangers or a flip kit and lift shackles for roughly a 5" rear drop.

Adam

Arruda

Reaction score
I'm not much of a lowered guy but I'm pretty sure you picked one of the hardest trucks to lower being 4x4 and 3/4 ton

Well I didn't really have much to pick from considering my need for a 4x4 diesel and what was available on the private market in my bottom of the barrel price range but that's irrelevant to my question.

Just trying to figure out if I can lower it and if so, how or where do I get what I need without serious bank breaking work to lower this k2500 4wd. I know it's unorthodox and not what most of you would do but any constructive replies regarding my question, would be greatly appreciated.

Arruda

Reaction score
Is it 8 of 6 lug. If its six it should be the same as a 1/2 ton such is purple keys out of a gmt800 the rear can be shackles and hangers or a flip kit and lift shackles for roughly a 5" rear drop.

Adam

Thanks for your reply. It is 6 bolt so should I be looking for lowering kits for a 1/2ton gmt800? 5" is more then I was looking at, thinking I might have tire suspension, clearance problems.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
No not lowering kits you need stock gmt800 3/4 ton torsion keys also know as purple keys. Then you would just need a rear kit Which should be the same as a 1500 88-98 ive neverblooked in depth at the rear but I'm assuming a half ton kit should work either a flip and lift shackle or a shackle hanger kit. Take a look at blue95s thread he dropped his 4x4

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6086

Btw I see no problem dropping a 4x4 I wanted to do the same to my father in laws rcsb. I think its an awesome idea. 4season traction and looks to kill. Good luck. Best thing I can say is research research check part numbers for interchange parts between a 1500 and light duty 2500 to make sure the same componants are used but I believe they are.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Arruda

Reaction score
you need stock gmt800 3/4 ton torsion keys also know as purple keys. Then you would just need a rear kit Which should be the same as a 1500 88-98 ive neverblooked in depth at the rear but I'm assuming a half ton kit should work either a flip and lift shackle or a shackle hanger kit. 2

Thank you very much your helping allot! so the purple keys will give me how much drop in the front do you think? They sound like it will be Cheaper then a kit so that's good. If I get the stock rear suspension from a 1500 will it give me the 3-4 inches I need to lower the back in my 2500? Or will it be the same?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
From what ive read the purple keys will allow a 3-4" drop up front

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2