91 gauge cluster crossover extension cable for moonie conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnydrama

Reaction score
Haven't had to do one myself but I believe I've read others have found the tach was already wired. Have you tried just hooking the cluster up (after the wire moves already mentioned) ?

Tach signal can be found on the white wire coming off the coil that has its own spare terminal just hanging there, but that would be a hack - that's a diagnostic test point, not the official harness wire for the signal. I'd have to look up where it goes on the cluster connector end.

Richard
It would be wired for a tach even though 88-90 moonies didn't have a tach? I'm not doubting you I'm just a little surprised. And you have been plenty of help already so please don't go killing yourself to look it up on my account. Thanks again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about your setup but, in my 88 when I switched from the moonie gauges to my Dakota Digital set I had to run a tach wire from that spade connector Richard mentioned on the coil to the dash.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where in the dash did the other end of the tach wire go?
I can't help you there, my DD dash has all the wires connected to a "control box" which has a ribbon cable that goes to the dash itself. All I was saying is the tach output from the coil was not originally connected to my moonie gauges.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It would be wired for a tach even though 88-90 moonies didn't have a tach? I'm not doubting you I'm just a little surprised. And you have been plenty of help already so please don't go killing yourself to look it up on my account. Thanks again.
The post(s) I saw could easily have been someone with a '91 that swapped from moonies to '91 needle gauges, since both were available that year.

Richard