90's slave cd player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A search for the part number (16070252) pulls up GM part sites that show it used in the 89-92 Pontiac Sunbird.

Here's the little joker down by the gearshift.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They just revised the look between 94 and 97. Same basic setup though.
95 and up yes, 88-94 was quite a different setup from the later years. "Head unit", for example in the 88-94 was nothing more than a control panel. Actual brains was a box mounted inside the dash. Maybe you are thinking of the 95 models.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They just revised the look between 94 and 97. Same basic setup though.

The old style that OP posted has all the controls for the CD player integrated into the slave unit plus a display, the 95+ style just has an eject button. I'd say that's more than just a cosmetic change.

54jimmy

Reaction score
no 1995 is the revised look of the dash. the 88 to 94 was the square dash not the rounded dash of 95 up. also 1995 was the last year for tbi in 1996 the went with the vortec efi but that is another story. the guy I got this off of said it worked great when he took it out to put the optional cup holders in because the both occupied the same space under the dash.

Last edited:

54jimmy

Reaction score
east302 yes they were used in the sunbird just found that out today. thank you for the pic of the little joker. they were a very rare option for the trucks because of the head units having the same brain box and wiring were interchangeable the bracket and enclosure are where it is really rare to find.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I don't think the CD player would've gone where the cup holders were on the old dash. Wouldn't they have gone where the cassette deck was? Instead of having a cassette, they would have a CD player there instead.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would have been my guess, that the CD player would have replaced the cassette deck and equalizer.

It does make sense that the player would have been used in multiple models in addition to the Pontiac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54jimmy

Reaction score
nope you would have the equalizer and cassette plus cd player. why not use it in multiple models cuts costs to use the same parts. they do it all the time. I am going to take it up to my uncles this week and install it in a burban he has to show everyone.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
nope you would have the equalizer and cassette plus cd player. why not use it in multiple models cuts costs to use the same parts. they do it all the time. I am going to take it up to my uncles this week and install it in a burban he has to show everyone.
Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. :D Makes sense, since they made the 95+ radios have a cassette+AUX CD combo or CD+AUX cassette combo (maybe that combo wasn't until 99?). Did not know that they had a cassette+CD option pre-94, I thought it was just cassette.

Please do! I'd love to see a video of this thing functioning. I have a soft spot for old school electronics.
I would love to see one in action as well. :D