'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bout making a custom tent to fit your truck bed? You're pretty creative. But don't know if time is on your side.
Google search shows some decent ideas.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bout making a custom tent to fit your truck bed? You're pretty creative. But don't know if time is on your side.
Google search shows some decent ideas.
The thought lingered in my mind about two and a half seconds. I'm currently working on rewiring the rest of the top end of my son's Chrysler 300. I'd replaced the passenger side coil wiring a few years ago, and now the driver side coil and fuel injector wires are crunchy. A new harness, if you can find one, is $950, so I'm buying new connectors and splicing wiring. I dragged both riding mowers out and am giving them tuneups, and I need to do a tune up on the church mower this week. My buddy's picking up his trailer this afternoon (he stores it at my place), and I need to talk with him about doing the wheel bearings. I popped the caps off yesterday, and they're okay, but they could use repacking. I've also started reassembling Roscoe. Next weekend I'll be in Dallas, prepping the car for the race.

So, yeah, building my own is out.

One of those pop up sun shades and back the truck under it. Just an idea, don't know if the truck would actually fit under there.
Popup sun shades survive about five minutes in the Oklahoma wind, and we'll be at the top of the hill at Hallett. That's why I'm more in favor of a tent than a tarp. We have secured a powered pavilion paddock spot, but the car's going to be under the pavilion. Also, if it's rainy and windy, the pavilion is tall enough that it won't be much protection.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, and I should just borrow a tent and camp under the trees next to our spot. Maybe I should just put a cot under the pavilion. I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has experience with a stepside tent.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try measuring the dimensions of the bed and look for a tent that fits. You can make tie down points for it with some metric threaded eyelets, to replace the upper bed brace mounting screws like these:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074K53HRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did this to make lift/tie down points in my bed. Worked great!

(edited after I looked at it...)
You must be registered for see images attach