'89 Fun daily build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Hertz sub is top of the line and sounds pretty incredible, but I just don't feel it was the right choice for this application.
Does the bottom of the seat fold down all the way down without hitting the sub grill???
I decided on that one because I knew it needed so little room, I also originally had the idea of it being under the passenger seat but the installer said there wasn't enough space. For the seat folding down, I don't know but it definitely should since part of the design goal was to keep them usable.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I decided on that one because I knew it needed so little room, I also originally had the idea of it being under the passenger seat but the installer said there wasn't enough space. For the seat folding down, I don't know but it definitely should since part of the design goal was to keep them usable.
I installed a powered Bazooka tube under the back seat of my '94 and it fits perfectly under the driver-side back seat. The seat folds down and there's no intrusion on the legroom if needed. It's not going to rattle the windows, but adds good bass to the sound. I did replace the factory speakers as well. In hindsight, I should have bought the higher wattage bazooka tube than the one I have. But, my wife says I'm deaf already (at 54 yo) so I prob don't need that much bass in my sound system anyway.
You must be registered for see images attach

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It does fold down without interfering but that side is definitely unusable. Considering the budget and level of bass I wanted I don't know if there would have been a better solution. I'm also forgoing covering the amps to reduce cost for now.

Since I plan on doing a full interior makeover in the future it would be a waste to spend too much more on this setup. In 2-3 years I'll probably be posting the amp rack (minus the sub amp) and the sub box for sale in our market forum anyways.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the thought process on the choice of sub. Being a fabricator and box builder, I would have talked with you about ideas outside the box. Instead of 1 10" upward firing in a sealed enclosure, I would have suggested two 6 1/2" forward firing with a ported enclosure and done one long slot port to smooth out that bass or two short ports for that in your face bass. All depending on your listening habits and choice of music. I've just been doing this on a professional level for a long time, and I'm not afraid to get creative!!!

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get the thought process on the choice of sub. Being a fabricator and box builder, I would have talked with you about ideas outside the box. Instead of 1 10" upward firing in a sealed enclosure, I would have suggested two 6 1/2" forward firing with a ported enclosure and done one long slot port to smooth out that bass or two short ports for that in your face bass. All depending on your listening habits and choice of music. I've just been doing this on a professional level for a long time, and I'm not afraid to get creative!!!
I'm much more of an sql person so ported isn't something I've been considering. I'll start researching smaller subs for the future build though.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm much more of an sql person so ported isn't something I've been considering. I'll start researching smaller subs for the future build though.

See, I don't get why everyone believes you have to use a sealed box for sound quality!!!! How many sealed subwoofers do you see in a home theater or a high end home listen enviroment?????

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the ported enclosure got the bad rap from subwoofer manufacturers. The majority of people do " just wanna boom" so thats the suggested box they recommend. Plus most people don't understand a port, so they tend to shy away from it. That's juat my opinion.....

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the ported enclosure got the bad rap from subwoofer manufacturers. The majority of people do " just wanna boom" so thats the suggested box they recommend. Plus most people don't understand a port, so they tend to shy away from it. That's juat my opinion.....
You've got a solid point I've never thought of. My home audio is ported and sounds great quality wise.

But those pre fab ported car audio boxes are horrible so I've also been against ported. So does that mean it just boils down to just a junk item for a manufacturer to sell vs building a proper custom ported box?

Makes me wonder if a ported box could help my 3 NOS punch p1 8" that are in a sealed box?

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a solid point I've never thought of. My home audio is ported and sounds great quality wise.

But those pre fab ported car audio boxes are horrible so I've also been against ported. So does that mean it just boils down to just a junk item for a manufacturer to sell vs building a proper custom ported box?

Makes me wonder if a ported box could help my 3 NOS punch p1 8" that are in a sealed box?
those prefab boxes are just a general tuned box. Usually around 35-38Hz to be safe and use just a general guess on the air space. In the industry you find those prefab boxes that are just waaay better quality then others. Some company's prefer to buy the cheapest thing they can and sell it for that killer profit. Personally, at my job, I found a couple brands of boxes that I don't mind selling, but I pay double and triple the price of the cheap ones. I can't get crazy on the price of them, cause it gets into my custom business, so we make a little money on the box and the customer gets a pretty nice box for a prefab.
A ported enclosure might wake those 8" up, you would have to just take a look at some specifications and go from there.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably in my top 3 favorite 8" to work with.... DC Audio m3 8". Its a feeakin beast!