'89 Fun daily build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To fix the front height issue we went back to the factory spindles.

It goes to get balanced tomorrow and then they're going to put it throughout its paces to test all the new stuff, break in the brakes, and tune the front suspension. All goes well and I should be able to pick it up Friday!

.... just to take it to an electronics shop to have some security and the Dakota HDX installed. I'll also be adding remote start and electric solenoids to the locks. Might be home for the foreseeable future by next week?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well Miller Muffler finished up everything they've been working on. Looks good and I really love how the brakes work and feel, though I only got to test them up to about 40.

Sadly shortly after I left the engine light came on and the truck started limping. After a short break with the engine off it seemed to run fine but the light was still on and there was still on odd whine anytime I let off the gas. Since it's only been driven for an hour, earlier today by Miller Muffler, after having Eagle Transmission work on it I took it back to them to see what's going on.

Hopefully I get good news and soon. I'm ready to finish up this phase of the build and just be able to drive it.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was just a loose radiator hose clamp. It still needs a temperature sensor but we're waiting on one to come in.

Took this before dropping it off to have security/remote start, tint, and a sub put in. Next on the list is inspection, fixing a small crack in the windshield, and getting it detailed. Rides great now, though I was only in it for about 40 minutes so hard to say much yet. The steering is still just as loose though so I'll have to talk to them about that.

Attachments

• 20220923_174739~3.jpg
    20220923_174739~3.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 42

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update

The electronics shop also won't install the Dakota cluster. I'm having a hell of a time finding someone who will put this thing in. I may end up having to do it myself. The install looks straight forward so I'm not worried about being able to do it, I'd just rather pay to have someone not cut corners like I know I would. I'm also still looking for someone to do the window and door seals and touch up the paint to prevent rust.

If you have recommendations for anyone in the north of Dallas area let me know!

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like its coming along nicely. Is the paint going to shine up or are you going to have it painted at some point?

For now it's just going to get a touch up and shined back up. I plan on a full repaint in the future, engine bay and cab included. Might also have the frame painted. That will come much later because I want to spend the money to have it done right and I have other priorities, comfort and power. If I get tired of the color I might get a less expensive wrap until I'm ready to have it painted.

After the current work is done the very next thing I'll be getting is seats. I'm leaning towards bench seats from a nbs GM atm. Something like this.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided on what I'm doing for the steering. Just ordered a shaft from Cunningham Machines, who I hear is also an active GMT400 member. My installer said it's going to be so simple to put in he won't even charge me. He also said that if I wanted a quick ratio gear box to go with RedHead. I looked it and and decided to call them because they don't recommend that box if you have non-standard ride height and/or tire size. After asking a handful of questions about how I plan to use the truck they did recommend to use the standard ratio. Since my current box has life left in it I'll wait to get the RedHead.

Audio and security install are going well. I won't post any pictures of the security system but here are some shots of the amp rack before it gets covered. The sub box will be getting built tomorrow and they idea is that it and the covered amp rack will look the same, or a nearly identical as possible for a clean OEMish look.

You must be registered for see images attach

Special note on the amp rack, you just have to disconnect the power from the distro block and then take out 3 screws to remove it when needed. The sub will have a similar system.

I also decided to take a risk on some cheap Amazon headlights and have them put in. I'll be testing to make sure I'm not blinding people and will be returning them if that's the case. Also, if you want a chuckle go look at the "What's in the Box" section.

Attachments

• IMG_20221006_173853_2.jpg
    IMG_20221006_173853_2.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221006_173918.jpg
    IMG_20221006_173918.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221006_173910.jpg
    IMG_20221006_173910.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 10

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another shot of the amp rack, this time with power cables. Might be picking it up today, if I do expect more pictures with the custom sub box.

Also if anyone is curious, that is a machined cover on the JL HD750. I picked it up on ebay a while back and knew I would be covering up the amp for a factory-ish look so I didn't mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_175304.jpg
    IMG_20221011_175304.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 14

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When he looked at the radio install done by New Image Autosports, by my request, he realized it needed to be rewired. From the amp and battery connections I'm not surprised, the radio was also randomly rebooting on me so I knew something was wrong. Only go to New Image Autosports if you like wasting money. Anyways, he needs more time with it.

For now here's the amp box but I'm not sure how I feel about it

The amp cover isn't made yet but I'm not sure it'll make this any better. They just stick out a lot more than I was hoping for.

Paging @Wh4t3v3rs since you do audio installs, do you mind weighing in here? The sub is a Hertz MPS 250.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging @Wh4t3v3rs since you do audio installs, do you mind weighing in here? The sub is a Hertz MPS 250.
I know the back seats in these trucks are not the most comfortable, but they can be used when needed. That box makes the drivers side unusable and the passenger side really inconvenient. That Hertz sub is top of the line and sounds pretty incredible, but I just don't feel it was the right choice for this application.
Does the bottom of the seat fold down all the way down without hitting the sub grill???