89 & 95 intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are these 350 manifolds the same?
I have a 95 motor with 2 stud TBI to put into my 89 Sierra.
The 89 has 1 stud TBI and I want to bolt the 89TBI to the 95 manifold.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, so long as their both not vortec. They'll bolt right up. If either of them have vortec heads, you'll have to replace with the corresponding heads

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not done an exhaustive study.

Of the OEM "small-block" TBI manifolds I've seen--all pickup-truck, no Camaro or B-body--the only difference I've seen is whether a certain boss on the front of the manifold is drilled and tapped, or left as-cast.

B-Body manifolds are said to have an extra-large distributor hole, to match the extra-large distributor flange. Apparently needed because without the extra-large hole, you can't remove the distributor with the engine in the vehicle. However, I've never examined one "up close", I'm going off of "internet rumor".

Of course, some F and Y body had TBI manifolds that used a pair of one-barrel throttle bodies. Never installed on a GMT400, or an 87 squarebody.

Use the correct TBI gaskets--both intake manifold and manifold-to-throttle body. They're not "all the same".

The TBI intake manifold gaskets are restricted at the rear coolant opening, the throttle-body gaskets are selected based on the way the throttle body is cast and machined.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The B body internet rumor Schurkey mentions must be true as Edelbrock 3704 intakes are listed as not compatible for them, but all the truck intakes should work.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both are for trucks. Neither are Vortec, I know that difference.
Wasn't aware of the front boss, will check if I need it drilled and tapped.
My biggest concern was if the 89 throttle body would fit the 95 intake.
I do not have either TBI off yet, wanted to order intake gaskets today if I needed
to swap intakes. I won't put the TBI on until 95 engine is in the 89 truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
pre-1994 the thermostat housing uses the paper gasket; 1994-1995 it uses the "square / split" o-ring style gasket. Though IIRC it's a difference in the housing, not the intake, as the intake has a lip for the thermostat regardless.

The air cleaner stud difference in the TBI's is simply just the change in hardware; it's transplantable. And yeah; you'll want to keep the original TBI unit with the harness it belongs to or you'll be splicing in the newer connector for the TPS (changed in 91.)

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll want to keep the original TBI unit with the harness it belongs to or you'll be splicing in the newer connector for the TPS (changed in 91.)
Good point! I forgot about that little tidbit. I have the reverse - a newer Throttle Body on my 88. It has an adapter cable that came with it from SPR Performance who, also calibrated the TPS before shipping.

You must be registered for see images attach

If, for some reason, you need to use the older TB, you should be able to get an adapter cable too?

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between 89 and 95 there were very few differences. The biggest differences were with the transmissions, headlights, and instrument clusters/wiring

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point! I forgot about that little tidbit. I have the reverse - a newer Throttle Body on my 88. It has an adapter cable that came with it from SPR Performance who, also calibrated the TPS before shipping.

You must be registered for see images attach

If, for some reason, you need to use the older TB, you should be able to get an adapter cable too?
WHy would I need an adaptor cable? I am keeping the 89 TBI in the 89 truck.