89 350 tbi- seafoamed and no smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After getting the results of my compression test- all cylinders between 235-260 psi, and having an on going spark knock when I'm in overdrive and give it a little juice, I figured I have tons of carbon build up. Makes sense, as my grandfather drove it probably 8,000 miles over the past 17 years, pretty much only on the farm, so probably rarely got up to operating temp or over 10 mph. So it makes total sense to me I have tons of carbon in there. Truck has 116K on it now and otherwise runs really well. Idles little rough, but nothing too bad.

Anyways, I tried the seafoam through the vacuum booster line. I did half a can, letting it suck until it started to stumble and then backed off. I didn't elevate the idle (though it did it on it's own when i took the vacuum hose off), just let it do it's thing. After getting about half a can in, I shut it off and let it sit for a couple days. I expected the huge smoke show that everyone talks about, but to my surprise got none at all. not even a little puff at start up. What gives?

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove it about 15 miles after I sea foamed it. I definitely didn't floor it but didn't baby it either and definitely no smoke.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
If you let it sit for a couple days, most of it may have went past the piston rings and into the oil.