89 - 1 ton / 8-bolt conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all.

I recently snagged an 89 1 ton pickup (C3500 - 454 cid / TH400). I really wanted a Silverado SS but I managed to get basically the same driveline and body for about $9000 cheaper than what the SS's are going for.

My ultimate goal is to have a cool street cruiser, which may have been easier to accomplish with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton rig starting point, but I will take what I got and do my best to work with it.

I'd like to get rid of the entire rearend that is in this beast...The axle caps sticking out of the side is pretty much a show-stopper for me.

I was at the junkyard today and I took some preliminary measurements off of a 92 1500, and it looks like the rearend *might* bolt right up. I measured roughly 49" from the outside of the leaf springs on the 3500 and on the 1500...the yoke for the driveshaft where it meets the rear looks to be the same too.

I'm figuring that SOMEONE had to have already done something similar and if not, I'm figuring that SOMEONE knows enough about this to be able to tell me what I need to do to make this happen.

I appreciate it. =)

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want a 10 bolt or a 14 bolt semi floater 9.5 out of a 2wd truck. (4x4 axles are wider) The perches should be the same and if they are not it takes no time to weld on new ones. You'l be able to find a u joint to make it work easily.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the fast response. I've got access to a junkyard and when I was eyeballing a 92 1500, it looked like it might match up. I didn't pay too much attention to the spring perches or anything like that.

What is the typical approach for this if one needed to weld on new perches? Would you cut the perches off of the existing axle housing and cut off the un-needed perches from the donor housing and just make the swap? Or is there an after market source for the hardware?

I noticed the thread with the axle codes, I will check the gloveboxes again.

Also, while we're on the topic, is there an easy conversion from 8 lug to 6 or 5 lug for the front wheels? Assuming I make the axle swap in the rear, it would be nice to match number of lugs all the way around.

thank you.
-Ken

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
8 lug, 14 bolt semi floater would probably be your best bet for keeping the lug pattern the same all the way around.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would run a beefed up ten bolt and convert the front to five lug to match the rear. the ten bolt should bolt right up. the ujoints are probly bigger though so you may need a one ton yoke for your new axle.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would run a beefed up ten bolt and convert the front to five lug to match the rear. the ten bolt should bolt right up. the ujoints are probly bigger though so you may need a one ton yoke for your new axle.

I like the sounds of that! Do you know how to pull off this conversion? From what I have been told, the 1/2-3/4 ton front components aren't compatible with the 1 ton rigs...so how to get the 5 lug up front?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have not done it myself, but i have also heard the hub with the rotor and everything should go right on your spindles up front. if not im sure you could swap everything from the spindles out. but im pretty sure you dont need to.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy perches from http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog.htm or any other number of axle shops, machinists etc. Check ebay too. Just grind off the old ones smooth and you can place the new ones anywhere and weld. This is the proper way to fix pinion angle after lifting or lowering your vehicle.

Like mentioned I would imagine the spindles etc would bolt up from a half ton.

BUT

Think about this. Buy some dually bedsides and drop that thing on some tucked out and in dually wheels. I don't know if you have seen pics of that but it is awesome.

attachment.php

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn that truck is sick! but mike do you think that he really needs to weld on new pearches? i thought everything should bolt together as far as the rear axle goes. but if he is going to slam it he mind as well weld them on with the right angle.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea if the 3500 has a wider frame or not thats the only thing.