88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcrjacob

Reaction score
Been there done that! Fuel pressure regulator while I had the intake off too. Five-o motorsports injectors as well. So far so good! And of course i just detected a tick-tick - gotta retorque my exhaust manifolds. Hoping I don't have any broken studs too!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Both studs got broken off!?!?!?
3 of them were broken just from heat/age/manifold expansion or whatever, a 4th one broke when I tried to remove it. 2 on each side.....

Been there done that! Fuel pressure regulator while I had the intake off too. Five-o motorsports injectors as well. So far so good! And of course i just detected a tick-tick - gotta retorque my exhaust manifolds. Hoping I don't have any broken studs too!
Yeah, I had a tick prior when it was cold, i'm hoping this holds up. Good luck to you, removing the broken studs is a PITA.

What exactly did you do that backlight the fog switches?
They are white 3mm LEDs.

-----------------

About 6 hours of drilling, grinding, ez-outing (those F*ckers aren't easy. They are a lie), and tapping but the exhaust studs are fixed. Ended up with 4 broken total, 2 each side. Only 1 of 4 I was able to cleanly extract, the rest were drilled and tapped. They aren't perfect but better than nothing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Manifolds were re-installed with a new gaskets, with a liberal coating of marine grade anti-seize torqued to the standard 20 ft-lbs.

Gapped the new colder NGK plugs to .035". The previous set looked flawless when they came out as well.

Got all the plugs in, wires re-ran and the valve covers fully installed with new gaskets.

Finally coming back together after this little side adventure. Lets hope I can get the rest of the intake back together this evening.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
3 of them were broken just from heat/age/manifold expansion or whatever, a 4th one broke when I tried to remove it. 2 on each side.....

Yeah, I had a tick prior when it was cold, i'm hoping this holds up. Good luck to you, removing the broken studs is a PITA.

They are white 3mm LEDs.

-----------------

About 6 hours of drilling, grinding, ez-outing (those F*ckers aren't easy. They are a lie), and tapping but the exhaust studs are fixed. Ended up with 4 broken total, 2 each side. Only 1 of 4 I was able to cleanly extract, the rest were drilled and tapped. They aren't perfect but better than nothing.

Manifolds were re-installed with a new gaskets, with a liberal coating of marine grade anti-seize torqued to the standard 20 ft-lbs.

Gapped the new colder NGK plugs to .035". The previous set looked flawless when they came out as well.

Got all the plugs in, wires re-ran and the valve covers fully installed with new gaskets.

Finally coming back together after this little side adventure. Lets hope I can get the rest of the intake back together this evening.

Okay, so they're factory illuminated? Or is this an addition of your own... I've never seen them lit before.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yours had to have been replaced by now. I could see the 80k ones still being original, but not 213k.... If they were I would put them in some sort of museum. Any chance you have looked at the color/size/shape of the body on them?

hey sorry just saw this, I haven't pulled them off to look since I bought the truck at 140k. They could've been replaced before I bought the truck, I honestly don't know. I didn't get any service records with it, it was an "as is" dealership buy. I have no idea how you would tell if they were original or not if I ever did have to replace them.