88 k1500 vibration in steering wheel and noise above 60mph, none at slower speeds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well we had this problem before, but haven't drove much on the highway since, so I had forgot about it. The 88 k1500, one the highway, anywhere over 60 mph has this sort of roar sound you can hear, that comes and goes, like in and out or louder then quiet. Along with this the steering wheel shakes. Alot like if you hit the strips on the sides of the highway, the rough things they make to wake you up. Not as loud of roar or vibration, but something like it.

So is this.....

wheel bearings?

tires need balanced?

The tires were used and ran the opposite way, white letters in, now they are white letters out, old man said they could be cuped or worn weird and cause it, or the weights, I noticed they seem to work loose and almost or have flown off.

steering? like idler, pitman, tie rod, ball joint? all I had checked before and were good.

I have to check it all out anyways to be sure but wondering about some input or maybe somebody else had the same thing happen.

We don't do alot of highway anymore, but I don't want there to be anything going bad or on it's way out and be driving along and it fall apart or something.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok do I check the units like normal, check for wiggle in the tire with it bolted on.?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually lift the front end and wiggle top and bottom. If you get play that way, unit bearing, if the play is side to side, its something in your steering.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok that's what I thought. I do it the same way, or if you can pry up or out or whatever gotta check the ball joints. Usually a bar under the tire to pry up or out or both I forget to check the BJ's. I usually just try and move it every which way and watch everything underneath for movement.