88 K1500 Flooding and Stalls after Warm Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04silvyhotrod

Reaction score
Just put a motor in my 88 K1500, it's a Goodwrench 350. Bought out of a wrecked 2wd truck that supposedly had 1500 miles on it before it was totaled. The truck runs great until it gets up to temp and when you shut it off it's hard to start back up. Itll start but you gotta hold the gas pedal wide open and it runs rough also flooding to death.

I changed the thermostat from the 180 that was in it to a 160 and changed out the coolant temp sensor to the one off my motor. It seems to be running like it should now. Would a bad CTS Sensor cause those same symptoms and is the 160 tstat too cool for the TBI Trucks?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
A faulty CTS can cause problems. Real time data is what will pin point the problem.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step one is to check for vacuum leaks. Your engine enriches the mixture when it's cold. Vacuum leaks are your most likely suspect. If you haven't done a full tune-up yet, do it. Plugs, wires, air filter, and fuel filter. Also check your O2 sensor voltage swings and if it's bad replace it.