88 after market radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racer36

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i got the truck it had a stock radio in it but it did not work. When I turned it on it made a loud humming noise but that may have been because the antenna is broken off. The small plug has 6 wires coming out of it and that is what was connected to the old radio

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i got the truck it had a stock radio in it but it did not work. When I turned it on it made a loud humming noise but that may have been because the antenna is broken off. The small plug has 6 wires coming out of it and that is what was connected to the old radio

There is another plug... if the unit had power and the speakers made sound, the other plug IS there and attached to the box.

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the wire for the power is in that small plug

This is the harness plug that contains 12v power, speaker connections, etc TO the stereo.
You must be registered for see images attach

The little plug ONLY connects between the head unit and the box.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The factory radio is made up of 2-3 components. The receiver/amp(behind the dash),the control face(in dash above ac/heater controls) and the tape deck(optional).The recieiver/amp is the box directly behind the ashtray.This has a large plug that has the speaker/power/grounding and antenna wires. The control face and tape deck have a smaller plug. The receiver/amp is the plug u want to connect the aftermarket radio to. Disreguard the control face and tape deck entirely.They are only meant to confuse u. ;)

Last edited:

luckybamboo13

Reaction score
I just did this a few nights ago. There is a plug on the bottom of the amp but once you remove it there are more plugs on the top. The bottom plug goes to the display next to the gauges. The top ones you will pull over to the center of the dash and plug all of them into the wiring harness. I have the pdf instruction that crutfield sent me with the radio if you want email me and i will forward them to you.