88-94 Factory Stereo Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Cadillac's are all on the passenger's side. Some are near the power antenna. Some are a little farther forward towards the back seat (small Eldorado & Seville).

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah I saw quite a few power antenna guts, but no CDMs. Checked two 94s and a 96 iirc.

If I ever find one, I'm gonna find out how well they pair with a 2000 OBS Escalade Bose amp that I pulled yesterday :D

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well, after having done some searching around and reading THIS, it kinda looks like I'm not going to get a Bose system AND working 5-band EQ at the same time, as they are actually mutually exclusive options. Searches of CDM part numbers cross-referenced to the heads they came paired with seem to confirm this - and another interesting tidbit is the apparent lack of BALANCE control on the earlier to 93 Bose CDMs. Didn't see that one coming... lol.

So I think, unless I just happen across one, my prioritized search of the yards for a Bose CDM is over - since I must have the awesome-looking 5-band EQ cassette deck in my truck and functional, and the Bose system doesn't support it :p .... And I'm going to have a secondary aftermarket deck in there anyway, soooo..........yeah lol

I have a Bose head unit I've had since 2011 out of a 1999 Blazer to pair with this Bose amp I just pulled, and what do you know... All of that works great. It's almost tempting to throw all that into my truck for now until I can swap dashes lol.

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Odd tid-bit on the lack of balance on the Delco-Bose. Note the unmarked control for balance and the knob with no 'pointer'. The control is built into the head unit and you can turn it. I assume it is non-functional in stock form. I don't know it if will respond simply by swapping the CDM (I expect not). I had to swap the daughter card (from 'same' radio, just a non D-B version) seen on the far side of the face PCB (it was damaged and had a previous repair too) It became electronically functional when I made my poser D-B unit. Shows on the display like normal too.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that they used identical boards in both the EQ and the non-EQ heads for the trucks, they are just missing the Bass/Treb buttons on the face of the EQ versions. Internally, they work anyway. I'd bet that swapping the CDM would in fact make that faceless balance control work fine.

I also failed to mention I did tear into the cassette deck on the Buick radio, and it, while having a few similarities mechanically to the truck decks, is totally not swap-compatible. Electronically they're completely different.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
I have noticed a variation in the decks myself. IIRC, I think the mechanism had a couple different manufacturers.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Here are the 2 different cassette mechanisms I currently have in the CDM radios.

Incidentally, Cadillac's only use the CDMs through '95. I'll try to get some pics of locations this weekend, if I can make it out. I have a number of parts requested I am hoping to satisfy on my next trip.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Top one is like the one in my Buick radio. Single motor, single solenoid, functions actuated by a gear wheel driven by the motor reels and selected by multiple clicks of the solenoid. Motor actually reverses direction for side A rewind.

The truck tape decks have 4 separate solenoids and a single motor, functions actuated by multiple gear wheels driven by the motor reels and selected as follows: solenoid 1 engages the play head and pinch rollers, and stays engaged as long as the tape is playing, or the repeat/skip is used. 2 engages either the eject mechanism, or the auto-reverses mechanism, dependent on the position of solenoid 1. Solenoids 3 & 4's only purpose is engagement of rewind/repeat and fast forward/skip.

I've not seen one like the bottom one in that pic yet.

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Ran across something today of which I was not familiar, looking to take some CDM pics. 1995 DeVille, non-Bose.

Was going to snag the CDM, since it was a newer one.

It wasn't a Bose car, so I had to go look inside again.

Pulled it out to get a better look.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That's definitely a Bose CDM... And I guess the cars I looked at, the CDMs had already been pulled out because all of them I looked at had nothing in that space.