88-94 Factory Stereo Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The car appeared to have some sort of a center speaker in the dash (no pic).

Took down the cover under the rear deck, figuring there must be some sort of amp hiding.

Haven't researched exactly what the active sound system is, I'm guess some sort of speed and noise monitoring. At any rate, I could see this used in a truck with the non-amp CDM as a direct plug-in. The harness is there from the CDM to the amp.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Interesting, now I'm gonna have to look up that car in my wiring diagrams. Every one I've looked up before had separate amps per speaker, but those were specifically labeled Bose systems. Kinda appears the CDM is not what makes a Bose system, but the amp(s) and speaker combo. The only thing on the CDM side is determining whether the amps are built-in or pre-out only.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
This was new one on me as well, I thought you might like it. Kind of wish I had popped the cover of the amp.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
The rear deck speakers are 4 ohms too, not the weird Bose stuff. The foam from the suspensions was laying on the cover.

I'll have to power up one of these and see what they are like. The front door speakers were the little 4"-5" rounds like the other cars of this body, hidden under much larger grills.

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It is definitely pretty neat, there seem to be a load of different combinations these radios were used for. If it weren't for the lack of 5-EQ support in the pre-out CDMs, I'd probably take a much higher interest in them lol. It almost makes me wonder if it's even slightly remotely possible to somehow hack in the equalizer control parts....lolol if only I had service manuals. I can't even find 90% of the IC part numbers anywhere.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Let me know if you find any schematics or diagrams. It appears to be an 11 speaker system, in between the base system and a Bose.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You might like this.

The no-amp system in the DeVille has NO CDM. Only the amped version has one. And the system is so fancy it needed two diagrams.

https://www.ak49bwl.com/other/wires/1995DeVilleRadio-wAmp-1.pdf

https://www.ak49bwl.com/other/wires/1995DeVilleRadio-wAmp-2.pdf

Notable is the CDM's pinout is different from even the Bose versions:

--- There's a "Distort Limit" line, assumably for built-in clipping protection. This line takes the place of the dimmer input present at least on truck CDMs. NEITHER line is present on the Bose systems!

--- Rather than a (+) output for each individual (LF, RF, LR, RR) speaker with a (-) common for fronts and rears, and a shield for the speaker outputs on Bose systems, this one shows that the speaker outputs are the same as the trucks, with each speaker output getting a (+) and (-). The shielding is provided by the AMP side!

It is indeed an 11-speaker system, and each speaker runs directly from the amp!!! Not like the OBS Escalade Bose system where the front door speakers are tied together, no. I can't be certain, but it would almost appear the amp does crossover networking internally as well. Like holy crap, I want this thing now LOL

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Picked up another today. The non-EQ CDM is on your list, from '93 Olds ('91 to '93) that is part of the radio.

This is the radio. Seen quite a few of these, first one I retrieved.

Don't quite recognize the cassette section.

I went ahead and paired it with a '94 CDM from a loaded Suburban that just came in. 5 band EQ unit I see on your list too.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to Brandon's help and a cool little bluetooth/FM transmitter from Amazon for $21 I'm back to having a factory stereo that I can bluetooth music to as well as use for hands free talking. I liked the Sony stereo but have never liked having the radio clear over in the middle of the truck plus with it being there hands free talking didn't work so well. I'm very happy now